Upgrade components or new PC?

Jemaris 08:18 28 Sep 2014
Answered

Was looking at the minimum spec requirements for the next Warcraft expansion & wondered if I need maybe a CPU upgrade (also looking at other games but none specifically yet other than WoW), or to save up the £'s for a better, newer spec pc?

Minimum PC Specs:-

Windows XP/Windows Vista/Windows7/Windows8 (latest Service Pack), Intel Core2 Duo E6600 or AMD Phenom X3 8750, NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT, ATI Radeon HD 4850 or Intel HD Graphics 3000, 2GB RAM

Recommended specs:-

Windows 7/Windows 8 64-bit (latest Service Pack), Intel Core i5 2400 or AMD FX-4100 or better, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470, ATI Radeon HD 5870 or better, 4GB RAM

My PC Specs:-

Windows 7 64-bit OS (with latest service pack), Asus M4A78-E Mobo (BIOS version 2603 13/04/2011), AMD Phenom II x4 955 CPU (core speed 3.2MHz), NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost, 8GB RAM DDR2

Should I try to upgrade the cpu? If so what's the best for this motherboard? (had a search - not sure what I'm looking for/at)

Bite the bullet save some cash for a new machine? If so what's better these days the AMD's or Intel cpu systems?

Jemaris 10:19 28 Sep 2014

Hmm. I realise I should have put this in the consumer advice forum. Any way to get it moved rather than double--post?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:58 28 Sep 2014

Tech room is good enough

I don't think you are going to be able to put in a much bigger cpu

Intel are currently the better cpus but that would need a new motherboard and memory.

BRYNIT 18:45 28 Sep 2014

If it was me I would save some cash for a new machine. If you upgrade what you have, you may find you will be asking the same question when you want to buy another Game and have no option than to buy a new machine.

Jemaris 17:27 01 Oct 2014
Answer

Thanks for the input folks. Oh well Stoptover is here, so time to quit the smokes & put the cash to good use :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires