Upgrade for Age of Conan - Help

Rethice 12:21 27 May 2008

Hello, I'm looking to upgrade my computer to the point where it can play the new Age of Conan smoothly on medium graphics.

My current specs are

Pentium 4 CPU 3.40GHz.
1 GB of RAM
NVIDIA 6600 256MB PCI-E Grahpics Card
Intel Mainboard
460W Foxconn Power Supply

I'm looking for multiple opinions on what pieces of hardware to upgrade to what.

I've been told that an 8800 is recommended, and a Dual core processor, but which ones, I don't know.

Thanks.

bstb3 13:06 27 May 2008

Hi Rethice

As im sure you are aware, Conan requires quite an up to date and well specced machine to run at decent settings. I am running the game with the following spec, and it works smoothly enough (and looks pretty good to boot):

Intel Dual Core E6600
2GB Ram
XP Home Edition
NVIDIA 8800 GTX Graphics.
550W power

In terms of your system, you definately will need to boost the ram to 2gb for the game to run at all smoothly, and I would suggest going for at least an 8800GT card with 512mb onboard too. I cant honestly say if your processor will need a boost, but the recommended specs for the game suggest at least a dual core. If you need to boost the processor then that will likely need another motherboard also.

Looking at it you might be better off going for a new build, one with the specs similar to the above should be acheivable for around £600-£700 or so if you shop around. That way you would be likely to get Vista home also. Conan doesnt yet support DX10, but it is in the pipeline and you will need Vista then if you want to run it at that level anyway. If you do go for Vista I have heard people saying in game that 3Gb ram is better to keep things as smooth as they are with XP and 2GB though.

Its a good game, certainly it has promise. Personally I wouldnt go and get a new PC or spend £100's for this alone, but as time goes by game requirements are rising and at some point its going to be necessary anyhow. Might just be time to bite the bullet.

citadel 18:43 27 May 2008

8800gt 512, another 1g of ram, a decent psu 650w or 750. if you buy a quality psu you can use it in your next pc along with the 8800gt.
the most important thing for games is the graphics card so I would not worry about the cpu.

mrwoowoo 19:19 27 May 2008

Minimu requirements
Processor: 3GHz Pentium IV
RAM: 1GB RAM
Video Card: Shader Model 2.0 and 128MB RAM: NVIDIA GeForce 5800 or ATI 9800
I would see how it goes rather than spending money if youv'e no need.
If it struggles a Nvidia 9600GT is almost as good as the 8800GT and a lot cheaper (£85.00 at Nova tech) and will run with your PSU.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?