Upgrade advice from A8N-SLI Deluxe

twoshots 11:58 31 Oct 2008

Hey guys. Bear with me and my total lack of decent hardware knowledge.

My motherboard/PSU recently died and I'm looking to replace them. Since my system's over three years old, I can't find any A8N-SLI motherboards around, so what would be my best bet in terms of an upgrade route?

I know Intel's range of Core Duos is the most sensible way to go, but I'm on a pretty tight budget, so I'm considering an X2 6000+, just to tide me over for a few months until I can afford a decent Core i7 system next year.

Assuming I opt for the X2 6000+, can you recommend a decent, affordable motherboard?

My 'nooby' searching has led me to the Gigabyte AM2 nForce 400 MATX A L G (click here), but it seems that this doesn't support SLI, rendering one of my perfectly working 7900GTs useless.

Other searches lead to more expensive SLI boards (no thanks) and perhaps ATI boards, meaning my 7900s are both useless.

Would an ATI chipset motherboard couple with a HD4670 perform as well as one (or even two) 7900GTXs? Or would a slightly more expensive 9600GT coupled with a non-SLI motherboard work out better value for money?

Sorry if I sound like an idiot, but when it comes to hardware I'm relatively useless.

Pre-thanks for your time in helping me!

howard64 10:08 01 Nov 2008

the main problem is that things move on so fast and most of your system is probably not the current type. First why not try to sort out your existing system. Either the psu or the mobo has died? A replacement psu is about £20 for a reasonable one. A little bit of investigation could save you a lot of time and money.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie