Upgrade advice

handelwasto 13:59 05 Aug 2006

I was hoping for some advice on how to proceed with my planned future upgrade. I currently have:

a8n sli motherboard
3500 AMD64 CPU
XFX 7800GT
2 GB corsoir XMS RAM
audigy 2 zs
5.1 logitech z5500

I am overall quite happy with this, but I am having problems running new games on the settings i would like, battlefield 2 for example goes eery jerky once i put AA on. I was hoping you may be able to advise me on what I should upgrade to gain better results. I was considering either a PhysX card (which ive now learnt are almost pointless) another 7800Gt or a new CPU. I have been looking at CPUs the most but many people believe that it would make a miimal difference. Could you possibly tell me what you believe i should upgrade next? I dont really want to overclock as im a complete amateur to that. Also do you believe that running my firewall, norton are having a detrimental effect on my games?

thank you in advance for any help

vinnyT 15:03 05 Aug 2006

"Also do you believe that running my firewall, norton are having a detrimental effect on my games?" No, though Norton is renowed as a resource hog.

A new cpu will not make enough of a diff. to justify the cost.

You have plenty of ram, though BF2 does like loads.

I think your best bet is either get another 7800gt and run sli, or get a new card, one of the 7950GX2 cards (effectively sli in one card) that's around £350-400 click here

Don't bother with the physx cards yet, wait till the dust settles.

Hope this helps.

handelwasto 15:08 05 Aug 2006

I have just run 3dmark 2005 and found that with north, zonealarm and asus probe off i got a score of 7077. I then ran it with them all on and got 7091 :) , so i guess this backs up what you were saying about them not making much of a difference. I will take your advice and go for the new card, thanks

handelwasto 15:09 05 Aug 2006

That was supposed to be norton, not north :)

vinnyT 15:40 05 Aug 2006

Welcome.

citadel 17:19 05 Aug 2006

I would wait till next year and get vista and a dx 10 card.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone