Upgrade 98 to XP; Can I do the following..

Simsy 19:48 24 Sep 2006

Folks,

I have bought WinXP upgrade for my son. He currently has Win98se, running on a 20Gig drive. It's a machine I built for him, some years back, and we have the genuine Win98se OEM disc, (i.e. not a restore disc)...

I'm improving his HDD space at the same time, so I've bought an 80Gig HD. Using MY pc I've partitioned this, and formatted it NTFS, in anticipation of installing the XP upgrade onto it. (The 20 Gig drive will then become a slave, used for backups etc).

The procedure I'm trying is;

Removed the 20 Gig drive

Installed new, NTFS formatted drive

Boot from WinXP upgrade disc

Insert Win98se CD when prompted, to indicate validity of upgrade.

Should the above procedure work?

(I'm concerned that the upgrade sees the NTFS partition, (which it hasn't created itself), and decides that this couldn't have had 98 on and thus not permit installation.)

Have I been to clever by preparing the new HDD?

I'm currently getting stuck with booting from the XP upgrade CD... BIOS runs, then XP CD runs and says, (something like), "checking existing hardware", and then nada, nowt, zilch. I give it a looooonng time but it gets nowhere. This is repeatable.

I realise that it's possible I've disturbed something while changing the HDDs, but I'd really appreciate confirmation that my intended sequence for installing should work, and the halt isn't caused by my method.

Thanks in anticpation.

Regards,

Simsy

ade.h 19:52 24 Sep 2006

Yes, that's fine. Although you don't need to format it. XP's install routine does that. Your old OEM license and retail upgrade XP license will combine to make a full retail XP license.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:53 24 Sep 2006

Your procedure should work fine.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:55 24 Sep 2006

It's a machine I built for him, some years back

Does your BIOS recognise the 80G drive?

VoG II 19:56 24 Sep 2006

Thirded. See click here

Simsy 20:00 24 Sep 2006

Now to discover the problem then!

(Yes BIOS sees new drive OK)

Thanks,

Regards,

Simsy

PSF 20:04 24 Sep 2006

Your procedure is correct. You do not need to convert the new hard drive to NTFS prior to installation. You can do that as part of the installation.

Try replacing the old drive and format the drive again using FAT 32 Will be ok.

Then remove old drive fit the new drive, making sure the jumper on back is set to 'master', and start the installation again. Choose the full format and conversion to NTFS.

You might have jumped the gun slightly, in theory it should not make any difference but with pc's...

ed-0 20:11 24 Sep 2006

some things worth checking

Check in the bios and see that the boot virus protection is disabled.

Check that the system can cope with XP. e.g size of cpu and memory.

Switch the ram, if you can. Or reduce it to one stick, if you have more than one.

Change the cdrom drive, it may not be reading the disk properly. I've had a few XP installtions fail over the cd rom drives.

Simsy 22:10 24 Sep 2006

However, I am making some deductions...

I purchased 2 80Gig HD, (one is for my dad). When I have only 1 HD connected to the PC, (either one of these new ones), when the BIOS gets to it's detecting EIDE stage, it takes a long time, but does eventually show the drive as "WD blah blah serial number"

I presume this means that the BIOS can see the drive, and can cope. But everything slows down.
Is is possible that the BIOS is the problem, bearing in mind that is does appear to find the drive? What I'm really asking is, "Is it an either/or situation... It can or it can't with no kind of finding it, but I'm not sure"?

If I have the only HDD attached a 6gig Fat32 drive attached, or either of 2 20 gig drive I have, the BIOS stuff wizzes through and the XP setup disc is read OK and starts its hardware check and loading up the gubbins it needs in no time... so the CD and drive are OK, and no problem with the RAM or boot virus stuff. (I don't want to install XP to any of these small drives, or that would be a way out).

(The system generally is up to XP standard, Athlon 1.3Gig, 512 RAM etc...)

Is it possible I have been given drives that aren't EIDE... SATA perhaps? I have no idea how different they are mechanically. I can't make out any markings on the drive to indicate that it's EIDE or SATA. If the drives are SATA would they fit, mechanically speaking, EIDE connectors? (I'm clutching at straws with that one... I formatted the one drive using my EIDE hdd external USB enclosure!)

I can't find mention in the MOBO manual of what the BIOS should cope with, so I don't know if an udate is likely to sort me out. I don't want to do it if it's not necessary.

The MOBO is a Soltek SL-75DRV4 and was new in the summer of 2002.

Any observations welcome... including detailed procedure of BIOS upgrade if thats where I need to be looking... The manual is s little bit "pigeon english" and I REALLY don't want to cock it up If I go for a BIOS upgrade!

Thanks in anticipation, again!

Regards,

Simsy

ed-0 22:18 24 Sep 2006

The drives will be EIDE, you can not connect a SATA drive to an EIDE connector with out an adaptor.

It is probable that your bios is recognising your old hard drives as fixed.

Reset the cmos by moving the motherboard jumper, this will put things back to square one, or set your IDE devices in the bios to auto.

PSF 22:22 24 Sep 2006

click here*&p_li=&p_topview=1 for Data Lifeguard Tools 11 for DOS,
this tool will set up Western digital drives,

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache