upgrade

k_g2000 14:57 15 May 2004

Hi Guys
Just started an updrade this morning,

P4P800 delux, P4 3.2, Ge-force Fx, 2*512 ddr2700.

All went well apart from I'm getting no post, no beeps! and I can't power down the system.

Disconnected all devices just to see if it was trying to boot from another device other than the BIOS, no luck, changed the graphics card, cleared the cmos. I think the problem is the power supply, it's only 300 watts, another 500watts is on the way. Also this could be another factor click here

After considering these issues, do they relate to the system not being able to power down or restart? Also I have tried all possible panel connector configurations, reset plug etc..

Thanks

K_g

Gaz W 15:10 15 May 2004

Do you have the 4 pin 12V power attached as well? It looks like half an AT power supply and goes on as well as the standard ATX one. I think you need a "Pentium 4" power supply to have this connector.

That's all I can think of at the moment and it's taken from the link to the Asus website. You said that whatever is in that link "might be a factor" - is this what you meant?

Sorry if it's stating the obvious a bit.

Here are a few other things you could try: make sure the memory is in firmly, and just try it with the most basic components; mobo, cpu &fan, memory, graphics card, keyboard & monitor.

I've discovered on this forum that it's not necessarily just the wattage of the PSU, but its efficiency, although I doubt your 300W one is a P4 power supply.

Gaz W 15:11 15 May 2004

Forgot to put "a few" things. I've had problems even getting a computer to come on because I had a faulty case. This was because the case was a really cheap and nasty one, and I found that it would work out of the case, but whenever it was in the case, the power supply would cut out.

Here's a link to my power supply posting: click here

k_g2000 21:17 15 May 2004

Hi guys

Sorry for delayed responce been cooking up the Barbie, bit manggled!

Anyway replaced the power supply with 500watt, with 12v 4 pin, hey presto where on fire.

Thanks for all the input.

k_g

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?