Updrading Dell Dimension 3000 to use 2 Monitors

dads3a 20:17 19 Feb 2008

The boss wants me to upgrade the old dells we have to work with both monitors.

I don't have a problem fitting graphics cards or messing about inside but I need help with finding the cheapest way to do this if it can be done.

I don't think it can be done as the Dells don't have a PCI express slot would I be correct?

Totally-braindead 20:26 19 Feb 2008

No. If it had an AGP slot you could use that but if this is correct click here it has neither and the only option then would be a poor PCI graphics card but theres been 2 threads by people that I have seen who had Dells and bought PCI cards and found they wouldn't work so I don't think thats an option either.

I would open the case and look at the board and see if there is an AGP slot, if there isn't I would forget about it.

If he just wants the same display on 2 monitors you can get a splitter, but you cannot have 2 different screens using a splitter.

If you still want to have a go at it then this PCI card might do the job as it does have 2 outputs though you would need a convertor for the DVI output to make it VGA and you would need to check with someone - like Novatech that it will do dual display.

Before considering a PCI card phone Dell and ask if it will work.

Totally-braindead 20:29 19 Feb 2008

Sorry forgot the link to the PCI card that MIGHT work click here but I don't know if it will.

A splitter for the same display on more than one screen click here

dads3a 20:31 19 Feb 2008

Specs are a bit different.

The work one is 2.6ghz, 1gb, 80gb. I'll have a look in the morning and give Dell a phone.

It would be 2 different screen we would be looking at

Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?