Updating to XP Service Pack 2

wildhouse 23:47 23 Sep 2006

I want to update to SP2 and have backed up my important files onto CD's. However, I have loads of MP3's and photos which will just take up too much space. Even compressing them doesn't make any difference. Has anyone updated to SP2 without backing up photos etc without any problems?

Forum Editor 23:54 23 Sep 2006

You shouldn't need to worry about data files when installing SP2, in fact you shouldn't need to worry about anything. The service pack should install without any hitches. Having said that, if these images are important you should have them backed up anyway, regardless of SP2.

If you encounter problems with SP2, post back here and we'll sort them out with you.

johnnyrocker 23:55 23 Sep 2006

i have and having been very wary eventually bit the bullet and all went smoothly, i would add your pc is seriously out of date and at risk without constant updates.

johnny.

User-312386 00:30 24 Sep 2006

As FE and johnny have said its an easy process

Nothing to worry about

terryf 08:22 24 Sep 2006

I am surprised that you worry, after all you accept other microsoft updates (you do go to the microsoft update site don't you?)

wildhouse 11:24 24 Sep 2006

No - I stopped accepting Microsoft Updates a couple of years ago as they caused problems I didn't have before! However, I will 'bite the bullet' and update to SP2 as Microsoft do not seem to support SP1 anymore!

Forum Editor 11:29 24 Sep 2006

a couple of years ago you are in serious trouble, and your computer certainly isn't 'safe' on the internet. Even worse, by using an unpatched and vulnerable machine online you are jeopardising the security of other internet users - your computer could be used to spread virus infections without your knowledge.

I suggest that you install SP2 without further delay, and thereafter you should accept all critical updates from the Microsoft update site.

wildhouse 21:32 14 Oct 2006

I have now updated to SP2 without losing anything. It hasn't made any difference to my PC though.

Jackcoms 21:46 14 Oct 2006

"It hasn't made any difference to my PC though"

Really??

What about the increased protection offered by XP Security Centre for starters?

What difference did you expect?

Stuartli 21:53 14 Oct 2006

You should install SP2 as soon as possible and then follow up with AutoPatcher from:

click here

which adds the SP3 updates etc released since SP2 became available in August 2004 - choose the latest month in 2006 available.

GEEKSTA 21:54 14 Oct 2006

no probs what so ever. go for it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?