Updating XP

askgreg 22:00 30 Jul 2004

I have recently been downloading Critical update files.All went well until I received the following.'Files that are required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognised version.To maintain system stability Windows must restore the originals.
The network location from which these files should be copied C:\windows\service pack files\i386/controls.man is not available.Insert Windows XP KB839645 source file now.'

This file KB839645 was the one critical file that caused the above message all the others were downloaded without a problem.

I would much appreciate your comments.Many thanks.

VoG II 22:24 30 Jul 2004

My first port of call would be Start, Run, type in

sfc /scannow

and click OK. You may be asked for your Windows CD. If you do not have a Windows CD, the situation is more complex :o(

askgreg 22:53 30 Jul 2004

Thanks for responding 'VOG'.I had previously tried the 'System File Check'both in 'Safe Mode' and normal.In both cases when I clicked OK I had a flash on the screen but then nothing.After you mentioned trying sfc /scannow I tried again and this time I was rewarded with a 'Windows File Protection ' window, and a message which told me it was going to verify that all the protected windows files were intact and in their original versions.When it had completed its scan the window disappeared and the nothing else.Is this what you would have expected.?Incidentally I don't have an XP disc.The person who owns the machine can't find it.

Thanks again. Greg

VoG II 20:37 04 Aug 2004

I got your e-mail, thanks, I'd forgotten about this. I'm afraid I'm stumped unless you can find KB839645 listed in Control Panel, Add and Remove programs. If you can, I would remove it then try Windows Update again.

This will bump you to the top anyway.

Ebonytiger 22:57 04 Aug 2004

Had exactly the same problem with updating except when I tried to run sfc/scannow from the command prompt it asked for my Windows XP disk but said the disk was Windows XP Pro (I have Home) and did not match the OS on my PC - strange seeing as I only ever had the one CD! It would not allow me to continue. Will watch this thread and hope for some enlightenment.

askgreg 00:01 05 Aug 2004

Thanks VoG for your comment,I have returned the machine so I am unable to follow up at the moment.After much more scanning with virus protector progs. and the installation of AVG and Zonealarm the computer appeared to all intents and purposes to be working.I would still appreciate your comments on what should happen when you do a sfc /scannow.Should the
'Windows File Protection' window have appeared.?

Thanks once again and I will keep you in the picture with any more developments.

askgreg 20:55 08 Aug 2004

sfc /scannow.This is the one outstanding point for the moment ,that is, until I have another panic call.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?