Updating Windows installer

Kingfisher 07:56 11 Oct 2006

I have tried to install Norton internet security on my friends p.c. but when I click on the install button i get a message saying"windows installer needs to be updated please wait while it is updated." But a box comes up updating windows installer with an activity bar moving across the screen but although there appears to be hard disk activity nothing happened i left it for about half an hour and then gave up. Can anyone advise me on how and why I need to update the windows installer, many thanks in advance

Stuartli 08:29 11 Oct 2006

Download it from:

click here

More info at:

click here

Diodorus Siculus 08:29 11 Oct 2006

Download: Windows Installer 2.0 Redistributable for Windows 95, 98, and Me
click here

Download details: Windows Installer 3.1 Redistributable 2k / xp
click here

Diodorus Siculus 08:30 11 Oct 2006

PS Why not do youir friend a favour and go for the free options that are available; if you have bought NIS, symantec offer a 60 day refund.

chippy+ 11:13 11 Oct 2006

hi i had a program called hallmark which didn't have a uninstaller as it was in c/drive and not in programs or add/remove i removed it manually and used reg seeker to remove any left overs but on looking through msconfig there is still two entries in win.ini how do i remove these thanks Chippy

chippy+ 11:15 11 Oct 2006

sorry been careless forgot where i was Chippy

Kingfisher 17:58 11 Oct 2006

Thanks to you all for yor advice will give it a try

Kingfisher 19:06 16 Oct 2006

just to let you know that it seems that this pc is still running sp1 so I am sure that once I have put sp2 on it all will be ok,
thanks for all your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?