Updating to USB 2

SHUNNA 15:14 01 Feb 2005

I`ve ordered a USB 2 PCI card to update my self build pc so that I can get best speed from my new Liteon external USB2 DVD writer.
Will I have to disable my present USB 1 setup or will they happily co-exist?
OS is WinXp with AMD 1.8Gig processor.

TomJerry 15:16 01 Feb 2005

just plug pci card in and install software and enjoy it

flecc 15:28 01 Feb 2005

If the card you have ordered is a Belkin, many of their versions need you to install the software from the CD BEFORE installing the card. Doing it the other way round can lead to a difficult to undo situation. Reading the instructions before acting is best, as ever!

SHUNNA 15:33 01 Feb 2005

Thanks both, it`s not a Belkin, but a cheepo Ebuyer model, because I liked the fact that it had front panel sockets as well as rear.

Diemmess 15:41 01 Feb 2005

N.B. flecc's advice is good (as ever).

I caused a near terminal crash on a family system by not installing the software BEFORE plugging the card in.

Djohn 15:44 01 Feb 2005

As Diemmess says, good advice from flecc. Nice to see you posting again flecc, not seen you for a while. :o)

wallbash 16:11 01 Feb 2005

SHUNNA

Good advice from fleec ( must remember to read the manual .... I wish I always did)

But I also bought a cheap usb 2.0 card with 3 ports on a front panel and two at the rear from e-bay. ( may be same) Could not believe how simply it was to install and truly delighted with it .I did not disable anything.Inserted card and re-booted. My pen drive is so much easier to insert. My only little niggle was that it needed an adapter panel to fit the front panel.

SHUNNA 17:31 01 Feb 2005

Thanks everyone, sorry for the slight delay in replying, but work intervened.
Wallbush, sounds like the same item, seemed to have good reviews, and you`re obviously pleased.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iPhone X review

How to find a font: Discover the name of a typeface with these apps

The best iPhone for 2017

Comment créer un compte PayPal pour payer en ligne ?