Updating post-virus

Marko797 10:23 13 Aug 2008

I think I recently had a virus/malware situation (Zlob & Virtumundo or something similar) which I managed to get removed with a combination of AVG and several anti-malware progs. AVG didn't stop it from infiltrating my laptop, strangely, and neither did Comodo :(

Since then I've had a few probs which I've managed to resolve, but I'm now having probs updating the following:

AVG 8 Free - keeps telling me connection with server failed. If I go to AVG site and save the update, I can then update manually, which is a pain. Have uninstalled and re-installed but to no avail. AVG offer no support for the free version.

Superantispyware Free - won't update and tells me connection failed, and that Firewall might be the problem. Have uninstalled and re-installed but to no avail.

I did have Comodo Firewall, but have uninstalled it to eliminate this as a possible cause of the problem.

I'm now using Windows FW, and have allowed anything and everything for the above 2 programmes.

Anyone have any ideas why I'm having these problems, and what the solution might be?

Marko797 10:24 13 Aug 2008

I'm on XP.

Marko797 14:08 13 Aug 2008

that all previous restore points have disappeared. Is this a result of the virus/malware?
Don't suppose there's anyway to get these back at all?
Any thoughts appreciated.

crosstrainer 14:48 13 Aug 2008

Left overs from the infection, or infection still present.

Start here:

Download and update :

click here

And:

click here

Run a registry check with ccleaner, and clear out junk files (backup registry when prompted)

Start in safe mode, run your antivirus again.

Start in safe mode and run Super anti spyware, choosing complete scan.

Try updating again

brundle 14:51 13 Aug 2008

Get the SAS updates manually here;
click here

DjSprinks 14:52 13 Aug 2008

am unsure about the anti virus and why that is not working as i am kinder new to virus battling myself! lol will hav a think tho,but regarding the restore points yes that was the virus it does it to prevent an easy fix! had the same thing on a friend comp to and i dont think u can get them back either soz i cant be of more help :(

DjSprinks 14:57 13 Aug 2008

and was just gonna say maby there still infection pressent lol! try also spybot s&d as all antivirus seem to pick up different infections none finds them all so u hav to use different if u no what i meen lol.

Marko797 15:34 13 Aug 2008

for the comments.

CT - I have those 2 thanks (CC & SAS), and also A-Squared which seemed to have cleared the virus/malware problem. AVG is showing all clear but not sure that I trust it anymore.

I'll try the Safe Mode, is that F8?

Thnx Brundle for the manual downloads, I'll try & get them now, then do the Safe Mode as per CT's suggestion.

Jeez, what a 'mare!

Marko797 15:47 13 Aug 2008

got the SAS manual updates, which advises me to place them here:

"C:\Documents and Settings\<USERNAME>\Application Data\SUPERAntiSpyware.com\SUPERAntiSpyware"

I can't find such a folder, so am a bit stuck...

brundle 15:55 13 Aug 2008

Have you un-hidden folders? click here

brundle 15:57 13 Aug 2008

Go to start menu/run, type

%appdata%

press return for the

"C:\Documents and Settings\<USERNAME>\Application Data\" bit

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone