Updating drivers

Bourbon Rovers 08:36 12 Jan 2004

I have just subscribed to Driver Detective v4.0 and found out that half of my drivers need updating. I downloaded the latest one for nVidia GEForce 4200 Ti but don't know what to do next. I have tried running the application with and without the anti-virus disabled - although I did download the 8.6mB file with Download Express on my modem to save time. I later found out from the Nvidia tips page that the recommendation is that I disable Download Accelerators. Could this have influenced the situation adversely?

Do you have any general tips about how to update drivers? As you can tell I am a novice...

Jester2K 08:46 12 Jan 2004

"I have tried running the application with and without the anti-virus disabled "

Go on, don't keep us guessing.... What does or doesn't happen after that??

the usual way is to download from click here

Then Uninstall the old driver in Control panel, Add / Remove Programs, Reboot, Allow Windows to install VGA Driver, Disable Anti Virus, install new drivers, reboot.

Bourbon Rovers 09:00 12 Jan 2004

Well after clicking download and waiting for an hour or so I basically did the same as your suggestion except that my pc rebooted, recognised new hardware (sic) and automatically updated itself (I'm not sure what it was doing). So I looked for the recent download in my received files and clicked on the application. That is when I got the DOS-like message. I get the same flash of the display with and without the antivirus disabled.

So I have an application on my pc and need to install the updated driver but don't know what to do next.

I tried reinstalling the original nVidia driver but when I looked through my CD ROMS it wasn't there. Do PC manufacturers normally install graphics cards and drivers but not supply the original disk? It seems a bit odd if they do.

helmetshine 09:35 12 Jan 2004

I use an ATI card but imagine the process is similar for Nvidia cards...after removing old drivers and rebooting cancel the windows found new hardware wizard...then find your new drivers and double click to install

Bourbon Rovers 08:16 14 Jan 2004

I have since downloaded the driver off the nVidia website without the
assistance of Download Express. This took about 2
and a half hours on my modem so I won't be doing that too often. Let's hope
broadband prices drop in the next 6 months! I have removed the old driver,
disabled my antivirus and the driver won't install properly. I clicked carry
on installation at the digital signature prompt and on completion I was
informed that there was a problem with intallation and the it wasn't loaded.
Furthermore, each time I boot up the pc reports that new hardware has been
found. Okay...so I inserted my Winfast CDROM (I thought I didn't have a
driver) and install this only to find the same error message come up. What
is going on? Any suggestions would be helpful.

Jester2K 08:39 14 Jan 2004

OK. What version of Windows??

Bourbon Rovers 09:12 14 Jan 2004

I have Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 with service pack 1 installed.

Jester2K 09:17 14 Jan 2004

Do you still have the CD that came with the card?

If so, uninstall the new drivers, reboot and reinstall the old drivers.

Or Right Click My Computer, Properties, Hardware, Device Manager, Click Display Adapters, Right Click your Graphics Card, Properties, Driver, Roll Back Driver.

What version where the old drivers and the new drivers?

Or do you have System Restore point to go back to?

Bourbon Rovers 20:40 14 Jan 2004

The CD is Winfast 3D graphics series but when I try and install it an error message pops up and says it can't install the driver A250 LE.

This is the only CD I have with a graphics driver on, otherwise I have tried to install the downloaded driver to no avail.

Rolling back the driver didn't achieve any difference.

I didn't know about System Restore points until now so...the latest one is todays.

Would buying a new card and driver solve the problem?

If not would reformatting the drive and reinstalling everything work. If so how do I do this?

Bourbon Rovers 22:07 18 Jan 2004

Well in the end I got fed up with the escalating problems installing the nVidia update. I'm not sure if it was related but I was thinking of reinstalling Windows again anyway. Problem solved but not in the way I really would have wanted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?