Updating driver?

northerngirl 10:42 23 Sep 2008

I have tried to play a DVD on my computer but have received the following message:

Windows Media player caanot play this DVD because there is a problem with digital copy protection between your DVD drive, decoder and video card. Try installing an updated driver for your video card.
Error 103.

I haven't experienced this problem before. I run Windows XP and haven't installed or uninstalled anything recently.

Any help would be gratefully accepted.

djbenny 13:11 23 Sep 2008

Hello, try playing the dvd through another application such as VLC click here and see if the dvd works through that if not findf out what your dvd drive make and model is and search google gor the drivers or the manufacturers website

northerngirl 14:09 23 Sep 2008

djbenny, thanks very much for your advice.

The DVD plays fine with VCL . I am just confused as to why all of a sudden my DVd's don't play with my usual player (Media Player).

Kevscar1 16:13 23 Sep 2008

The best way to check all your drivers is here

click here

I have used Windows update and tried to auto update drivers from device manager to be told all my drivers are upto date but then used Driver Detective to be told some are out of date. You click on a button beside that driver and it will download and install it for you.

northerngirl 16:59 23 Sep 2008

Thanks Kevscar. Windows update is showing everything up to date also but Driver Detective says that 10 things are out of date. However, when I try to download the appropriate downloads I am sent to a page where I need to purchase, is that correct or I am doing something wrong please ?

Kevscar1 06:56 24 Sep 2008

yes you need to purchase to get the downloads from it but the fact that it has found 10 items makes it worth it.
I normally run the program once a month to keep everything upto date.

beeuuem 11:18 24 Sep 2008

Driver Detective tells me that I have eight out of date drivers. Apart from the fact that three of these are the latest drivers, they are all available at no charge from the manufactureres site.

Sea Urchin 13:08 24 Sep 2008

with a bit of searching you can nearly always find drivers freely available from the manufacturer's website

northerngirl 13:13 24 Sep 2008

Thanks everyone. Sorry to be so dim but do you mean the computer manufacture's website?

I have looked at Windows but little joy there.

Sea Urchin 13:42 24 Sep 2008

No - from the manufacturer of the Video card, or whatever you are looking for

Kevscar1 16:33 24 Sep 2008

Yes you can find them free from the manufacturers website but are you going to manually check every driver on your computer including the peripherals every month.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie