Updating BIOS........how??

Phil930 19:30 19 May 2003

Its been over a year since i update my bios and in all honesty i have forgotten how to do it.

I have the bin file and if i remember i place this on a floppy and then on boot up try and enter the bios update screen, but not sure as last time i used some awdflash or something as i was unable to enter the update screen on boot up. can someone tell me the procedure please so i don't mess this one up as its not quite like a driver!!

i have the latest bios on my harddrive direct via email from the manufacturer (chaintech). whats next!!

most appreciated people!!

hugh-265156 19:46 19 May 2003

if its xp you will need to create an msdos start up disc.place a floppy in the drive click on format and then choose create an msdos start up disc.

next transfer the bin or rom file to the floppy.

next make sure the computer is set to boot from the floppy drive first in the bios.

then the computer is restarted with the floppy in the drive and you follow the instructions given to you by the manufacturer on what to type.

be careful and read all the instructions first as if its the wrong flash or you get a power cut or the computer crashes you will be left with an unusable computer.

its usually very easy to do just be careful.

MartinT-B 19:49 19 May 2003

LOL

Please tell us your BIOS- if it's chaintech it's probably Award in which case it's not too hard.

Just have your new bios .bin file on a floppy.

press Alt+F2 on boot and you'll go straight into the AWD Flash utility.

Then follow the prompts.

The usual caveats apply:

Don't do it in the middle of a thunder storm

Make sure your vital stuff is backed up

And to be honest only do it if you really have to!

Stuartli 19:49 19 May 2003

If you visit the Phoenix website (which now owns Award) you will find details (my Favorites reference to the subject has been changed to Chinese for some reason at the Elite link).

The "awdflash" you are thinking of is probably either AWD66.EXE or AWD712.EXE and are likely to be on your motherboard's CD-ROM.

Try the website first as there may now be different methods or utilities available or different to the Elite method.

Stuartli 19:55 19 May 2003

Found I'd saved it as a Word document (this is the Elite Computer Systems version) and needs to be confirmed as suitable:

How to Flash a New BIOS

You can install updated BIOS for this mainboard that you can download from the manufacturer's web site. New BIOS may provide support for new peripherals, improvements in performance or fixes for known bugs.

Install new BIOS as follows:Some mainboards have a Flash BIOS jumper that protects the current BIOS from being changed or overwritten.If your mainboard has this jumper, change the setting to allow BIOS flashing.Some Setup Utilities have an item called Firmware Write Protect that prevents the BIOS from being overwritten.If your BIOS has this item (check the Advanced BIOS Features Setup page) disable it for the present.

Your computer must be running in a real-mode DOS environment, not the DOS window of Windows NT or Windows 95/98.We recommend that you create a new formatted DOS system floppy diskette.Download the Flash Utility and new BIOS file from the click here Web site.Copy these files to a system diskette.

Turn off your computer and insert the system diskette in your computer's diskette drive.You might need to run the Setup Utility and change the boot priority items on the Advanced BIOS Features Setup page,to force your computer to boot from the floppy diskette drive first.At the A:\ prompt, after your computer has booted to DOS from the diskette, run the Flash Utility and press <Enter>.You see a screen similar to the following.

In the "File Name to Program" dialog box, type in the filename of the new BIOS and follow the onscreen directions to flash the new BIOS to the mainboard.When the installation is complete, remove the floppy diskette from the diskette drive and restart your computer.If your mainboard has a Flash BIOS jumper, reset the jumper to protect the newly installed BIOS from being overwritten.

MartinT-B 20:00 19 May 2003

Chaintech IS Award.

When booting you should see

press alt+F2 to enter AWD flash

and

Press del to enter set-up

Just copy your BIOS to a floppy, and make a note of the file name. Press Alt+F2 on Boot you'll go into a dos-like program. Follow the prompts, insert your floppy and enter the file name where indicated.

AWD Flash will do the rest.

Phil930 21:09 19 May 2003

'then the computer is restarted with the floppy in the drive and you follow the instructions given to you by the manufacturer on what to type. '

i remember last time i installed the bios the ALT+F2 would never work so i had to create a start up disc.

under the updated bios the ALT+F2 function works, but do i have to manually type in a command or what to install?? this doesn't worry me, its just i have no idea of what i should be typing, all i have is the bin file........

my reason for updating is to support the AMD 2400 processor as my 1400 is too slow.

this type of thing is monkeys work once you get the hang of it.

hugh-265156 21:37 19 May 2003

usually it just asks do you wish to continue y for yes n for no etc.

hugh-265156 21:38 19 May 2003

some are more sophisticated and will have menus and so on.

MartinT-B 23:17 19 May 2003

It looks like, and you navigate it, like a BIOS screen.

and enter the file name in the obvious place.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?