Updating BIOS

wrg 15:17 14 Dec 2007

Every so often when reading in these types of forum I come accross advice concerning updating BIOS or someone states they updated the BIOS. Would someone be kind enough to explain why, how and what are the benefits.

Thanks

WRG

mymate 15:23 14 Dec 2007

I have a Dell computer and if i log onto Dell website put in my "tag" number it tells me what updates i need. I updated my Bios because it was already set out for me by Dell. I wouldnt have touched it all otherwise.

wrg 15:25 14 Dec 2007

I have a Dell to. Maybe I should look later.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:34 14 Dec 2007

DO NOT MESS with the BIOS

you only ned to update the BIOS if you update your CPU or simular or you have a hardware problem that nothing else seems to cure.

It can easily go wrong (happened to me)

If it goes wrong then your machine is DEAD, just a doorstop.

wrg 15:38 14 Dec 2007

Would a hardware problem include graphics card. There is a game I like to play but periodically my computer freezes but only when playing this game at no other time does it freeze. I then have to switch it off with the power button. I am sure my graphics card drivers are uptodate but having been on other websites it seems to lead to this.

wrg 15:38 14 Dec 2007

sorry the game is FM2008 and running vista basic

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:51 14 Dec 2007

Not likely in this case.

Make sure you have the latest driver for your grahics card.

low amount of memory could also be a problem you are going to need at least 1MG to run Vista and more for the game.

wrg 15:54 14 Dec 2007

Fruit Bat

Thanks for your repsonse. I do have 2gig ram. I had one stick of 1g and got another based on the details that crucial came up with. As far as I am aware my drivers are uptodate. I use the ATI catalyst control center and also if I go in device manager and aske for check for updates it tells me I have the latest driver.

SANTOS7 18:26 14 Dec 2007

games that freeze cloud be down to a screensaver or a auto update running something like that if you want to run games effectively turning off all non essiental services will help a lot.
As Fruit Bat /\0/\ has pointed out BIOS updates are not to be done unless absolutely necessary.
To check for updates for your VGA card going to the manufactures website would be a better idea....

SANTOS7 18:27 14 Dec 2007

gud spelin cloud=could, but you knew that!!!

mymate 20:24 14 Dec 2007

wrg I would still log into Dell web site because there might be a update for your graphic card.I write down in a book what updates i have installed from Dell so i know not to install them again.And only install one at a time.
If you run Belarac that will tell you what your "tag" number is click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?