Updating AVG 6 free addition - can't connect

TimCDC 19:57 25 Mar 2004

Over the last couple of weeks, I have found updating a real hit and miss affair (usually resulting in a message, "An automatic connection to the Internet could not be established"), but if I keep trying often enough, eventually I get through. My father (both of us are on onetel dialups) hasn't been able to manage this at all, and to his recent disgust has just been infected with a virus that avg detected but couldn't clean.

Just to make sure I am as uptodate as I can be, I went direct to the grisoft site, and downloaded the relevant .bin file but can't open it successfully. My questions: (!)

has anyone else had similar trouble?

what should I do to get the downloaded update file to install?

Many thanks

Mike Mills 20:27 25 Mar 2004

I too have had similar problems with the auto update facility. I save the update that I require onto my hard drive ( I navigate to my hard drive, program files, grisoft, AVG, then Update and save the update file there) when I restart AVG it updates automatically, similar to when it used to update online, but I presume from the update file saved on my hard drive. Not sure of all the mechanics, but it seems to work for me!! Good Luck.

john-232317 20:33 25 Mar 2004
  TBH1 20:36 25 Mar 2004

have had trouble all week - - but just updated now - -1mb plus and a reboot

TommyRed 20:43 25 Mar 2004

Follow the link from dadyassa it works well. HTH TR

TimCDC 22:10 25 Mar 2004

Am now fully updated. Really grateful for this (and I know my Dad will be too!)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone