Updating antivirus software

misog 22:46 10 Jun 2003

I am concerned that people rely on there anti-virus software to be updated automatically.I have my AVG set to update at 9.30 but if I dont use it at that time for a few days then I am out of date.
It just takes 3 clicks to check for a update with AVG which I do every time I use a pc.

VoG™ 22:51 10 Jun 2003

This is one of the disadvantages of free AV. I use McAfee Virus Scan Online which sends me a message whenever an update is available. You pay your money (or not) and take your choice.

misog 22:56 10 Jun 2003

Agreed. You get what you pay for but after paying for a/v software which caused me problems I went to AVG

PSF 22:57 10 Jun 2003

I use Norton Internet Security. When I switch on and then every 4 hours Live update checks and installs the new definitions if available.

As VoG™ says You pay your money (or not) and take your choice.

misog 23:05 10 Jun 2003

Yes. But Norton causes trouble with System Restore with ME .

anchor 15:51 11 Jun 2003

misog:

Not according to Norton click here

Belatucadrus 16:26 11 Jun 2003

If you want a good update system, look at avast 4 click here it has fully automated incremental updates, even on the free version. I think it's a better updater than on the new AVG 7.0. I've got it on the laptop because I use it on an irregular basis and it updates as soon as I log on. All you see is a pop up window and a voice tells you you have been updated. pretty near idiot proof when configured.

misog 17:16 11 Jun 2003

When I have used restore I have had no problem with AVG but when I used to use Norton I had problems click here= . Anyway the point of this thread is to make people aware that automatic updating is not foolproof and with AVG it only takes a few clicks to do a manual check.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)