Updates

Evans of Sprot 21:14 22 May 2004

I am using Windows 98 - 2nd series.

I am at the moment unable to get updates of programs I use like Mcafee and Photoshop Elements to name but two of several. I feel that I have in some way altered my settings, but am unable to account for it. The most irritating ones are Microsoft updates which keep coming although I have installed them!
Hellllllllllllp
Gordon Evans

Evans of Sprot 15:35 23 May 2004

Help please!

AndySD 15:41 23 May 2004

do you have a firewall on the pc?

Valvegrid 15:43 23 May 2004

Do you have a firewall running, if you have, check to see if you have allowed the applications access to the internet.

Evans of Sprot 15:59 23 May 2004

Switching off the firewall does not seem to help.

AndySD 16:50 23 May 2004

Put your windows CD into the CD ROM and hold the shift key (the one with arrow pointing up, just above the Ctrl key on the left of your keyboard). Holding shift for a few seconds will stop the Windows CD from auto running, but the drive will still spin up to read the disk then spin back down again. Once it has spun down you can release the shift key.
Now click Start, and then click Run. In the Run command line type the letters SFC then click OK. This will launch the System File Checker that will sift through your Windows System Files looking for anything that has been replaced by an older version of the one it got from the Windows install.

If it finds any files that have been altered it will tell you and will prompt you on whether you would like to replace the files. If you would, the Windows CD is already in the CD ROM ready for your PC to read the files from, so just follow the prompts.

Evans of Sprot 17:03 23 May 2004

Many thanks AndySD I'll try that.

Evans of Sprot 17:16 23 May 2004

I have done that, but its still not working. Thanks.
Gordon

AndySD 17:30 23 May 2004

what firewall is it

Evans of Sprot 18:47 23 May 2004

Thanks for being so patient Andy - Armor2net is the firewall.
Gordon

Evans of Sprot 18:49 23 May 2004

I forgot to say that I had been getting updates from Mcafee until about a week ago.
Gordon

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?