I Win XP kept on demanding I update my Athlon XP PC, so I finally gave in, to my regret. Everything was fine until I downloaded GDI and then re-started my Pc as advised. Since then i get to the win xp loading screen, then the HD light goes out. There is a brief flash on screen of some writing and the PC gets into a cycle of restarting, can anyone please help? My rig has 512 mem, Nvidea mother board, FX5200 AGP, 80gb hd.
I have tried to do the f8 option-all that happpens is that the PC seems to load as if it is going to be okay. And then the HD light goes out. There is a brief flash on screen of some writing and the PC gets into a cycle of restarting. What other options do I have?
in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.
OPTION 2 - Repair XP by install over the top of existing systm
1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.
2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:
To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.
To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.
To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.
3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.
To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.
DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).
4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.
5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.
6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.
Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.
Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.
If i were you id wipe windoz and start again. Update features with it are a joke like all M$ programs. As for getting you files back id get a pen drive and a friend to burn you a copy of slax linux click here . This will enable you to boot into a kde gui and retrive you files from the windoz partition and copy them to a pendrive. Then reinstall windows and try again.