Update router Firmware?

tAtu*! 15:58 21 Nov 2009

Hi all
I have a Netgear DG834G router and Sky is my ISP. not sure what version it is as I cant sem to find any info? My question is,
1-Will this router work with Windows7 64bit or do I need to update the firmware?

2-If I do need to update the firmware, how do I do it?

Thanks in advance

Technotiger 16:05 21 Nov 2009

As far as I am aware, routers are not OS dependent - in other words they should work regardless of which OS is being used.

tAtu*! 16:36 21 Nov 2009

thanks Technotiger.

I was a bit worried as I had been on the microsoft website and from what I could see it stated it was ok for 32 bit but no info available for the 64 bit version. I have read that the router is supposed to be the most popular in the UK (according to Netgears own site) so I had hoped that MS would have all the drivers pre-installed anyway.

Thanks

User-1229748 16:38 21 Nov 2009

that router will work with windows 7 64bit although i'm with virgin who say they don't support windows 7 64bit.in other words they won't give any advice on windows 7 64bit :o(

tAtu*! 16:44 21 Nov 2009

Cheers smackheadz.

Finally, I am going to setup my new Dell Pc tonight, when I am registering Win 7 and setting everything up, should I keep my router plugged into the PC via ethernet whilst I am doing this?

Thanks

Technotiger 17:00 21 Nov 2009

Leave your router connected as normal.

tAtu*! 17:02 21 Nov 2009

thanks guys, appreciate all the advice. Fingers crossed my first win 7 experience goes ok! No doubt i will be back on here at some point tonight if it does not go ok!!!

Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?