update nuisance

maz6850 19:31 03 Jun 2008

Windows XP ...every time I switch off a message comes on screen "updating 1 of 9" and then starts to go through these updates taking 5-10mins.... Should this happen every time I switch off ??? If not how do I stop it....Please can you help?

wis 20:24 03 Jun 2008

is this since downloading xp3, and your updates are set to auto

ronalddonald 20:46 03 Jun 2008

Go to start click on cotrol panel click on scurity centre. Where it say manage security settings for: click on automatic updates and should be able to switch it off. I shold warn you they say its best to leav it on and let the updates down loa due to security features extra. I ted to swicth my off because i got frustrated with them and also if run AVG 8 i find that the computer is rnning slow and ive 2gb.

ronalddonald 20:47 03 Jun 2008

forget to mention thisworks with xp home edition

brundle 20:58 03 Jun 2008

Never understood people advising disabling Automatic updates entirely because there are some that won't install, it doesn't solve the problem.

For update problems try WURT first click here, if no luck try Dial-A-Fix click here

maz6850 20:53 04 Jun 2008

Thanxxx for replying ...not downloaded xp3 wis ... ronald will try ur suggstn heard of AVG seems worth looking into....brundle will also look into ur suggestions...also going to ring microsoft cos cannot understand why theres always 9 to update every nite.

peter99co 21:18 04 Jun 2008

List the KB numbers of the nine and u may get help as to what they are

birdface 13:08 05 Jun 2008

I would try brundle's click here's first.That should clear it and let you download the updates.If not you could temporary remove automatic updates and try running them manually.maybe try 1 at a time.You may find that 1 will not update but the rest will.Worth a try.

birdface 17:15 06 Jun 2008

From another thread.click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?