Update ME to XPpro

chriscross72 20:26 22 Nov 2004

My partners laptop currently has windows ME installed which is a horrid OS in my opinion...
Would XP pro install over that ok and give no problems if we were to just put the disc into the machine.
It has a 6gb hard drive and 188mb ram and an Athlon 550mhz processor...
Would there be any things to avoid or would XP replace ME in a nice polite way ???

Thank you : ))

VoG II 20:29 22 Nov 2004

Others will tell you that it is best to do a clean install but I did exactly what you are suggested about 3 years ago and I have had no problems whatsoever. If you do want to clean install, the XP installation should give you the option to format the drive before installing.

wotbus@ 20:39 22 Nov 2004

Check before you buy, as I have a feeling WinMe will only accept XP Home.

woodt 20:53 22 Nov 2004

You will probably have problems with the Modem on the laptop. Download the latest drivers first. Check it out here click here

gold 47 10:12 23 Nov 2004

A warning W2000 Pro has very large updates in access of 35meg so you will require a broadband connection or you will take over three hours via dial up if not longer.

gold 47 10:14 23 Nov 2004

Sorry gave you the wrong info ignor.

leo49 10:23 23 Nov 2004

As VoG™ says the Pro will install over just fine.

2 things to bear in mind,though.

1. With 188mb of ram XP will run but will be a bit slow.

2. In comparison to ME, the XP OS is enormous so once you've installed programs and amassed some data that 6gb HDD might become rather full.

wotbus@ 11:47 24 Nov 2004

Re my post yesterday; OK to upgrade Me to XP Pro.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?