Update fails KB968930 .Is it even needed ?

mooly 15:09 28 Jun 2010

In the last updates a few days back was KB968930 labelled as "Windows powershell and windows remote management" listed as OPTIONAL.
click here

I didn't install this... it just had that "look" about it... anyway today tried to install and it fails. Error 80200053, which led me too MS id971058, reset windows update.
click here

If I run this, then the update installs, but I am deeply suspicious.
Anyone had problems with this update, and does it even apply to a home user.
As always Google shows many have had "issues" with it over many months. It only appeared for me the other day on WU.

As I use Acronis I rolled back 24 hours, so am back at it still being an optional update.

I can run the "fix it" from the link, then it installs OK.

Advice :) what is this update ?

Clapton is God 16:18 28 Jun 2010

I'll be interested in responses to this thread as I tried to install this update on a Vista laptop yesterday and it also failed.

I've now simply 'hidden' it at the Windows Update site

northumbria61 17:08 28 Jun 2010

The Windows Management Framework Core package provides updated management functionality for IT Professionals. click here

I think it was offered as an "optional" update and therfore not required by the HOME User.

mooly 19:07 28 Jun 2010

Hmmm ;-)
click here

mooly 19:09 28 Jun 2010

Having restored back to pre "failure" I'll leave it a while.
northumbria61, I think you are right, don't think it's something I would use at all.

mooly 08:13 29 Jun 2010

Do you use Acronis ?

This is the answer from MS forum,
click here

mooly 18:12 03 Jul 2010

Gonna tick this resolved... it seems just one of those things. Haven't installed it.
Find it hard to believe Acronis is the culprit, but no answers or comments from over there either.

To me Acronis is the single most important program installed on the PC as you have zero worries about any problems, issues, bad updates :) you just roll it back.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?