a unzipped upgrade file ?

thisisnighthawk 09:07 04 Mar 2004

hi, i have downloaded a firmware upgrade for a MP3 player, i have unzipped it, but the icon for it looks like a sheet of paper with the corner bent over with the windows logo in the middle, if i click properties it says hex file, which is what it is suppose to be, but my nerve has gone when it comes to dragging it into the root folder of the player.........what do you think..

thanks

Diodorus Siculus 09:21 04 Mar 2004

1 - do you need the firmware update?

2 - follow the instructions exactly.

3 - good luck!

thisisnighthawk 09:23 04 Mar 2004

hi

1 not sure
2 I will
3 thank you..

Jester2K 09:29 04 Mar 2004

The icon just means that its not associated with any progams. Thats normal by the looks of it...

thisisnighthawk 10:14 04 Mar 2004

thanks, that is what i wanted to hear..

Jester2K 10:37 04 Mar 2004

When you have a Excel document on a PC that has Excel installed the document show the Excel Icon. Not because its built into the document but because Windows knows (for that PC anyway) to associate XLS files with Excel and so assigns it a Excel icon.

If the document is transferred to a PC without Excel it'll show the icon you described above. Windows (on that PC) doesn't have Excel and so doesn't know what to do with XLS files and shows the "unassociated" icon.

In your case a Hex file is just a data file. Most people don't really have a use for them so unless you added software that specifically handles Hex files it won't have an association.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone