Unwanted window at startup

cwtherapy 14:22 26 Oct 2006

At startup a window appears saying it is attempting to access a site (which I have now blocked with my IE settings). This site used to send me a bill for visiting a website I have no knowledge of.

The window at startup keeps on returning for about 2 minutes if I attempt to close it down.

I have run AVG antispyware, Spybot and adware without success. Advice welcome

Chris

recap 14:31 26 Oct 2006

Make a note of the program, open regedit, do a search for the program and delete any registry entries. BACKING UP the registry first.

To open regedit, click Start/Run type in the Run box: regedit

To close the program, press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to bring up Task Manger and end the task for this program.

xania 15:38 26 Oct 2006

Also scan your entire PC for any reference to the program name and run msconfig to make sure there's no reference to it in there.

Technotiger 15:44 26 Oct 2006

Hi, also run RegScrub

click here

and/or perhaps a System Restore back to an earlier date - assuming you are using XP.

Cheers.

cwtherapy 15:52 26 Oct 2006

Thanks for the speedy replies.
I am unclear what the program is. If I look at applications in Windows task manager I see 'Micro Billing Systems Account Logon Microsoft Internet Explorer'. If I right click on this and 'go to process' IEXPLORE.EXE is highlighted in the processes window.
I have noticed and tried to stop two processes
mbsmon32.exe and mbsreg32.exe which had names made up of the initials of micro billing systems but they reappear/replicate.

xania 08:54 27 Oct 2006

for mbsmon32.exe

click here

click here

for mbsreg32.exe

click here

cwtherapy 14:57 30 Oct 2006

My computer wont start up in safe mode. Pressing f8 repeatedly during boot has no effect. Im running XP professional.

VoG II 14:59 30 Oct 2006
  cwtherapy 13:01 01 Nov 2006

Thanks to all but....
After starting in safe mode I ran fixgrom (which reported no gromozon found and fixlinkopt (which reported nothing found also)
System restore does not seem to be operating on my computer currently.

What now folks?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?