Unwanted web Sites

rickwoo 21:40 13 Aug 2003

Can someone please help me as this is driving me crazy.

Whilst surfing, a web site suddenly comes up without prompting. I have never searched for this site, but it has obviously found me somehow. I assume it knows how to get to me?

I have changed providers since, but it is still happening. I have deleted my history, cache, cookie files etc, but to no avail.

Your help is gratefully appreciated.

VoG II 21:42 13 Aug 2003

Try Ad-Aware click here and Spybot click here

Chris the Ancient 21:44 13 Aug 2003

Usually caused by the site you're browsing popping up a related (albeit loosely) site. They earn money doing that.

You need a good pop up stopper.

I use Pop-Up Stopper from

click here

But if you do a search on this forum, you'll see it is a common thread.

Chris

Chris the Ancient 21:46 13 Aug 2003

Twice today you've stolen my thunder.

Get off on holiday and give others a chance to be quicker.

LOL

Chris

VoG II 21:50 13 Aug 2003

LOL!

One more day and you will be free of the VoG.

But I will be back, so make the most of it!

Chris the Ancient 21:51 13 Aug 2003

Have a good one - and have a drink for me M8

C

rawprawn 22:39 13 Aug 2003

Download Start Page Guard, I'm sorry I can't give you the address, but just do a search in google I'm sure you will find it & it's free.

rickwoo 17:31 14 Aug 2003

Can someone tell me whether a site can store details on your hardrive, other than in the cache, history etc (which i have cleared)so that the next time you're online they can call out and automatically send you web pages. Bsically what i'm saying is can i clear my computer so this does not happen.

I'm not convinced that this is a po up as the site i was originally accessing is completely different to the 'invader', and not sure they would want to be linked to it.

Forgive my non tech language, but this is a maze i'm trying to work my way out of.

Thanks for your time

VoG II 17:34 14 Aug 2003

click here will do a thorough cleanout.

Chris the Ancient 17:37 14 Aug 2003

A site can leave a 'cookie' on your machine to know who you are if you connect to them. Very unlikely to work the other way round though - they'd have to be checking millions of pcs all the time.

If you haven't, you really should install and run Ad-Aware as VoG suggested. It is the best free program for trying to spot this sort of thing.

Have you done that?

Chris

rickwoo 19:39 03 Sep 2003

I have now installed Adaware. Thought i had cracked it. Performed a deep scan, it found all sorts of tracking cookies. However when i was surfing a few days later the same adverts came up. I've never been to them. Is there some other place these are hiding?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?