Unwanted software

griffo 10:20 13 Apr 2007

Some 'joker' in our office has downloaded some 'unsavoury' internet software onto my laptop whilst I was out of the office. I know I should have my laptop password protected but it wasn't! (will be from now on!).

This 'program' doesn't appear in add/remove programs or Explorer, so I don't know how to get rid of it. Worse still, reading through the terms & conditions, it seems you can only remove it by paying a subscription of about £40, before they provide an uninstall file!!

I am furious to say the least (heaven help the individual if I discover their identity!) but really would appreciate some help if anyone knows how I can remove it. As far as I can tell, it's embedded somewhere in IE 6.

anskyber 10:27 13 Apr 2007

Can you give the name or title of the program.

anskyber 10:29 13 Apr 2007

PS. Is it this by any chance? click here

VoG II 10:32 13 Apr 2007

If it is click here

griffo 19:17 13 Apr 2007

Yes, that's the wretched thing! I've run my Kaspersky and it found no problems, also ran Ad-Aware SE and removed what that found and, so far, the bill pop-up hasn't re-appeared.

I tried to follow the remedy suggested in the links that were kindly offered but, like others, couldn't find the files referred to. All I found in System32 was a file called mbssm32.exe I'm not sure if I should try to delete that or what?

I'm sure the damn thing is still lurking there and is likely to re-appear. Any suggestions please?

Unlike other who have had this problem and don't know where it came from, in my case, the rumour is that someone did download it for a prank - idiots! Therefore, I'm worried that there may be more parts lurking somewhere?

VoG II 20:08 13 Apr 2007

Try this click here

griffo 10:01 14 Apr 2007

Thanks VoG. Downloaded that and ran a file scan and it found some P2P network 'Malware' files BUT it didn't identify mbssm32.exe???

p;3 10:56 14 Apr 2007

you could try these two

click here

click here

p;3 10:59 14 Apr 2007

how many people work in your office and is the lap top your own or belongs to work?

griffo 16:04 14 Apr 2007

p;3

thanks for the suggestions. I'm still puzzled why Prevx1 can't find mbssm32.exe, when their website has a whole page relating to it, saying how well their program finds and removes things like this???

Yes the laptop is mine and it's my own fault for not password protecting it. I shall try the freebie on this month's DVD - Sowsoft Active System Locker 3.0

woodchip 16:08 14 Apr 2007

If you run XP, Why not use Restore to time before it was loaded on the computer?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?