unwanted search bar at top and bottom of page

mpez 19:42 18 Aug 2004

hi, my son downloaded msn plus without me knowing and it has brought search bars at the top and bottom of the screen. I have ran adware se personal, spybot search and destroy and cw shredder, and still they remain. Has anyone got anymore ideas to get rid of them as the bottom one takes up about 2 inches of the page. Any help would be much appreciated. Forgot to mention i have unistalled the msn plus.

thanks
mandy

jack 19:51 18 Aug 2004

If the task bar is MSN or if you know the name of the program causing it amd your O/S is XP-go to Start/Run/type regedit in the type field
When the program comes up
Go to Edit/Find and in the type field type the
names of the offending item.
When the files are displayed and only those files - delete them

researcher 20:16 18 Aug 2004

Two suggestions:

Right click on them and see if you can find a close (or x) button.

Go into view > toolbars and see if MSN is displayed, if so un-tick.

mpez 20:32 18 Aug 2004

tried what you said and did not find anything. Will keep on trying.

mpez 20:32 18 Aug 2004

tried what you said and did not find anything. Will keep on trying.

mpez 20:33 18 Aug 2004

tried what you said and did not find anything. Will keep on trying.thanks

mpez 20:38 18 Aug 2004

tried right clicking no delete button but there is an x in the right hand corner tried exiting off will not close. I looked into properties and and in that was this address http;//lop.com/passthrough/newpass.html
tried to delete but would not.

thanks mandy

Dan the Confused 21:19 18 Aug 2004
  Cessna 01:05 19 Aug 2004

mpez i have this same problem. the top bar can be removed ( i found) by clicking on View/Toolbar and there was an option there called Search bar (i think) which when unticked removed the top bar. you can also right click the top bar near the left hand side and it gives you the option of Help and then Disable.... you then have to type in the code number that is displayed.. and then it goes away. however, the bottom bar is a real killer and i am still trying to find out how to get rid of that. just about to try Dans method above and see if that works... as i have done all manner of registry editing to no success whatsoever.

Cessna 01:21 19 Aug 2004

mpez!! Dans method works!!!!! hooray, the curse is lifted.

you need to REINSTALL msn messenger plus WITH the sposor. yes, load it back up with the sponsor. then go to add/remove programs and remove msnmessenger plus. and it will take it all away!! what a relief.

your curse is over.

mpez 07:44 19 Aug 2004

thanks everyone for helpng me with my problem. I took your advice ths morning cessna and got rid of that pesky top bar,thank you. The bottom bar has not appeared yet but it pops up at anytime so i will use Dan's method, thank you Dan for your advice.

regards
mandy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017