unwanted "READ ONLY" in MS Word

dutchauntie 16:50 30 Nov 2006

After writing 156 pages of my dirty life story,(using MS Office on XP SP-2) I can't SAVE the MS Word file to CD; message pops up telling me that the file is "read only".
I can save it to "My Documents" in the normal way; Strangely that message does NOT pop up when I try to save it on floppy in drive "A", but the file has grown too big for the floppy.
Can't find any reference how to undo this sudden and unwanted restriction. Have found a small "tick" box next to "read only"(recommended), which is not ticked. Tried to tick it, then - after re-starting - untick it, without result.
Hope someone can help

VoG II 16:52 30 Nov 2006

You can't save directly to a CD from Word. You need to save it on your hard drive then burn it to CD.

Jackcoms 16:53 30 Nov 2006

Whenever you save to CD, a file becomes 'Read Only' as a matter of course.

If you want to save it so that you can still edit it, use a USB pen drive.

dutchauntie 17:57 04 Dec 2006

Thanks VoG, appreciate that bit of know-how I wasn't aware of. It still didn't work though.
BUT .... it started me thinking in a lateral way.
If EXPORTING to a CD doesn't work, how about IMPORTING it, into NERO for instance.
Worked a treat, and my manuscript is safe !
Thanks again

dutchauntie 17:59 04 Dec 2006

Sorry Jackcoms: I was unable to burn the file ONTO a CD. But it's resolved in the meantime.
Best regards

^wave^ 18:03 04 Dec 2006

as said above if used on a cd file goes read only to change it it must be changed on hard drive use windows exploer to find the file then properties take off the read only tick

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?