Unwanted 'Platte' icon on desktop

RD9 19:00 09 Jun 2008

Recently while playing games on the internet, a pop up called Platte something came up. I thought I'd cancelled it but a program downloaded, which I uninstalled. Now I can't get rid of the icon on my desktop. I delete it and next time I switch on, it is there again. Also, when i switched on this morning I received a message saying my Platte account was overdue.
Has anyone any suggestions?
RD9

chub_tor 19:05 09 Jun 2008
  Technotiger 19:10 09 Jun 2008

I suggest that you make sure, that you do NOT pay these leeches anything at all, regardless of what they may threaten!

Technotiger 19:12 09 Jun 2008

Have a read through some of these - you are not alone ... click here

wis 19:13 09 Jun 2008

technotiger

remember mbs, sounds about right

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:23 09 Jun 2008

Simply open notepad and paste the following program into it (everything below the lines).

Once you've done that go to save it.
Call the file platte.cmd and in the box at the bottom called "Save as type" select all files.
I'd suggest saving it to your desktop so its easy to find. Run it the first time and once its completed it will tell you to restart.
Do so and then run it a second time, it will talk you through the process as you go so you know when to restart and what's required of you.
I have to confess that I've not been able to try this out myself, however it should work absolutly fine.
Let us know how you go with this.
======================================================================

@echo off
if not exist c:\windows\system32\pm_proc2.exe goto noplatte
if exist c:\platteStage2.tmp goto stage2
echo Into Stage2 > c:\platteStage2.tmp
echo Y| CACLS c:\windows\system32\pm_proc1.exe /D Everyone
echo Y| CACLS c:\windows\system32\pm_proc2.exe /D Everyone
echo Stage 1 of the uninstall process has completed please restart your computer and run this file again to complete the removal
:stage2
del c:\platteStage2.tmp
del c:\windows\system32\pm_proc1.exe
del c:\windows\system32\pm_proc2.exe
echo Stage 2 of the uninstall process has completed you should now be able to delete desktop icons for Platte and be Platte free
goto exit
:noplatte
echo Platte Media is not installed
:exit
echo Completed
pause

RD9 23:22 12 Jun 2008

Hi Fruit Bat

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, haven't been able to get to my computer for a couple of days.

Tried your program as per your instructions but the icon came back when I restarted again.

Still trying.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:27 12 Jun 2008

switch off system restore and run the program again.

when clear, switch system restore back on and create a new restore point.

Taff™ 05:42 13 Jun 2008

The icon will still be on the desktop but do you still get the Platte warning? There are in total 8 files in system32 that need removing, Fruit Bat`s method only removes the two executable files. You`ll also find possibly a couple of shortcuts in your Start Menu. Simply right click them and delete. I`ll give you a list of all the files later.

Taff™ 09:14 13 Jun 2008

The other files are listed below. If you Open Windows Explorer and then go to Tools (Organiser in Vista) Folder Options and on the view tab select Show Hidden files .... untick Hide file extensions and hide system files. Then go to C:\windows\system 32 and select View>Details. Locate one of the files. Select that file and click on the date modified header, this should put all others modified at the same date and time together. Note that the icon file will be dated roughly 4 days after the rest. Once you have confirmed their existence reboot the computer into safe mode and delete them from there.

Taff™ 09:18 13 Jun 2008

pm_ax.ocx
pm_proc1.exe (may have already been deleted)
pm_proc2.exe (may have already been deleted)
Get Films Now (Icon I think)
jregistrykey.dll
pm_dll.dll
pm_setup_util
pm_icon

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?