Unwanted Password Request 2

PAE 13:48 09 Apr 2009

Further to my previous posting. The problem hasn't gone away after all; however I have managed to pin the cause of the problem to be my Maxtor external hard disc. I use this disc for periodic backups of various parts of my main hard disc. When I want to use it I plug in the power cable before I switch on the system and this seeems to create the problem; if I connect the power after starting the system all seems to work OK but means I give an extra power jolt to the system which is not what I want to do. This is a new phenomenon. Any ideas please

XP3 AMD2800+

Clapton is God 14:01 09 Apr 2009

Which previous posting??

A link to that posting would help.

And if this is the same problem, why start a new thread?

Graphicool1 15:37 09 Apr 2009
  Graphicool1 15:42 09 Apr 2009

Why don't you keep it plugged in all the time? Mine is, mine has an Off/On switch that I switch On or Off as needed.

Clapton is God 15:48 09 Apr 2009

Is this external hard drive powered via a USB connection?

If it is, I'm not sure what you mean by "I give an extra power jolt to the system".

There'll be no 'power jolt' to the PC if that's what you mean by "system" because the Maxtor is drawing power from the PC.

If you're worried about a power jolt to the Maxtor, don't.

USB devices are designed to be connected and disconnected whilst the PC is powered on.

PAE 16:13 09 Apr 2009

The reason I started a new thread is because I had closed the original down thinking that it was a system fault and had been cured. Re: plugging in I am talking about the AC power not USB. I do not have on all the time because if I do the fan runs all the time and not when I am moving data which is why I only connect when I need it. I don't have an On/Off switch.

Graphicool1 16:51 09 Apr 2009

But your other thread hasn't been 'closed down'?

PAE 13:43 10 Apr 2009

I have got round the problem by putting my PC into Hibernate mode. This will do until I get a new drive. Thanks

Graphicool1 16:45 10 Apr 2009

If you want to close down this thread and your other one. Scroll to near the bottom of the page. On the righthand side you will see a button with the word 'Resolved' on it. Click the box next to it and a tick will appear, now click the 'Resolved' button and you are done. :¬]

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone