Unwanted page at startup

telkell 16:22 23 Jun 2006

Instead of getting my homepage (Google) at start up it is covered by a blue page headed "system 32" a message below this says "These files are hidden
This folder contains files that keep your system working properly. You should not modify its contents......."
I don't wish to modify it , but how do I stop it popping up at the start?

rawprawn 16:54 23 Jun 2006

Sysrem restore?

ade.h 17:39 23 Jun 2006

More info required:

Is it appearing in your browser? (Suggested by your reference to Google).

Do you have your browser in the Startup folder of your own volition, or is it just happening?

If it's not actually in your browser, is it a folder window? If so, which folder window? My Computer?

If it's the latter, this is not uncommon and there are some possible cures. Happy hacking your registry?

woodchip 18:02 23 Jun 2006

Just reset Home Page in IE if that's what you are using. It's easy to do

VoG II 21:26 23 Jun 2006
  telkell 09:36 24 Jun 2006

Sorry, my first was a bit misleading.
The page actually appears right at the start on top of the screen saver and programm icons. I can cancel it at once with the x at top right, so it is not causing a real problem, its just an irritation at start up.

ade.h 14:19 24 Jun 2006

What's the title of this window? Is it My Computer or similar, as I mentioned previously?

woodchip 14:21 24 Jun 2006

It sounds like a pop-up

telkell 15:16 24 Jun 2006

The title is "systems 32" and I am sure it is part of my own system and not a pop up or from outside my PC. On the left, in a column , there are three headings -'System Tasks' , 'Other Places' , and 'Details'. Under the last of these it says 'system 32 File Folder'
It is obviously part of my sytems set up but I don't want it appearing unbidden, especially in view of the warning about 'files that keep your system working. You should not modify its contents' --which I quoted at the start.

ade.h 15:33 24 Jun 2006

The System 32, My Computer and My Documents folders are the three folders that can suffer from this phenomenon. Now, we're getting closer to the facts. I'll be back later with some info, but be warned; this issue - though quite common - is difficult to fix.

ade.h 15:38 24 Jun 2006

click here This gives you an idea of how common it is....

click here gives the most likely cure, found on the Kelly's Korner site.

The other angle that some people seem to come from is malware activity, though I personally have some doubt about that. Anyways, run Hijack This click here and post the results log on the Malware Removal Forum click here Best of luck.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?