Unwanted negative numbers in XL 2000

GN 100 11:31 28 Apr 2004

I am constructing a spreadsheet in XL 2000 to determine consumption of water from monthly meter readings. I have used for example February reading minus January reading to give January consumption. OK so far but when I enter the February reading (not having made an entry yet for March) the sheet correctly displays a minus figure for the February reading. This is mathematically correct but confusing to the users of the spreadsheet. My question is how can I make XL display any negative figure as zero or a blank to avoid user confusion?

Taff36 11:42 28 Apr 2004

Use the IF function to basically say if the march cell is greater than 0 do the calculation otherwise print nothing. Somethin like this IF(F5>0,F5-F4,"")

pj123 12:10 28 Apr 2004

Just a thought. Would a 0 or a blank still confuse the users (as they may be expecting some sort of answer?) As Taff36 says use an IF statement. But in the example that would leave the cell blank, which still may leave the users confused. You could put some text in between the " marks like "na" or "not available" or whatever explanation you need in there to satisfy your users. One other point, if you want the cell to show 0 (zero) then don't use the " marks, just put 0 after the comma.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?