unwanted keyboard special functions

fruitpie 23:13 20 Jun 2009

I keep accidentally turning on a shortcut on my keyboard (samsung N110) - the J, K,L, U, I, O keys have a purple number under them that works with the function key to alternate what type appears. For example, when activated, instead of the letter J appearing on the screen the letter 1 appears etc. How do I turn off this function?

woodchip 23:17 20 Jun 2009

Remove the Software from Add Remove, or Remove the Keyboard from Device Manager by uninstall it. then switch off restart. And it will say found keyboard let it load generic drivers for it, this will then just work as normal keyboard no extras

Taff™ 07:26 21 Jun 2009

This is a netbook and I doubt woodchips advice will work. Even if it does you will lose other functionality from the keyboard. Your problem is a minor irritation and only caused by the fact you have the Number Lock function switched on. (Look for the purple "num lk" key) Just press the fn key and num lk key and everything will work properly. On a reboot XP Home should remember the setting. If not you need to enter the BIOS and turn it off permanently.

Taff™ 06:48 22 Jun 2009

Resolved - good. For the benefit of others can you tell us which advice solved the problem for you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone