unwanted email

pete. 19:00 03 Jan 2007

hi i keep getting emails from people i dont know they keep sending what looks like a paragraph from the bible i have sent them as blocked in my junk email but i was wandering is there a way to stop them coming into my email cheers pete.

Jackcoms 19:04 03 Jan 2007

It's spam.

Delete and ignore - do NOT respond to it.

The only way to reduce it is to change your e-mail address and then keep it a secret between you and about 3 friends. ;-((

sean-278262 19:05 03 Jan 2007

Exactly as you have done. Depending on your email address you will get more and more in time. Just use mail washer (I have never used it myself) and block the rubbish. Never reply to them. Ideally get a second email address to submit to sites forms and offers online, forward the mail to your normal address and once the spam becomes annoying set the spam account to not send and start a new one.

Enoch 19:10 03 Jan 2007

Your ISP should be able to help out. Most have a filter that screens out mails that do not have a return address which can be put on your account. Check with them, it is a free service. It will not block all the Spam out, but you will cut the Spam down to more manageable size

Jackcoms 19:17 03 Jan 2007

As Creature of the Nite says, use Mailwasher to screen it out. You can 'train' it to block words/phrases and e-mail addresses click here

Enoch 19:25 03 Jan 2007

With MailWasher you still have to screen the Spam emails out. With the ISP's filter this is done for you

Jackcoms 19:27 03 Jan 2007

Agreed.

But as you pointed out in your post of 19:10 "It (the ISP's service) will not block all the Spam out"

pete. 19:48 03 Jan 2007

cheers to all that answered will use mailwasher happy new year regards pete.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?