Unwanted e-mails & pop ups

Spam Flitter 19:03 18 Mar 2003

I've had a systematic battle to get rid of unwanted e-mails. I've reduced the total considerably by unsubscribing. But some will not unsubscribe no matter what you do. I've tried message > block sender but some still get through by having many variations in address. Any advice to see off these please?
I also have some which have no option but to click "OK" (eg. "you are currently transmitting at the following address ... This may put your system at risk")or reboot the computer to get rid of it. I think this type is particularly sinister. Any advice please.
Secondly, pop up windows: Some of these not only distract your attention but stop you from doing what you're doing, until you send them away. Anything to stop these please?
My best solution would be to track the origin of these pests and send them millions of the same until they beg to stop and promise the same.

VoG™ 19:05 18 Mar 2003

You shouldn't unsubscribe - that simply confirms to the spammers that they've hit a live e-mail address.

powerless 19:09 18 Mar 2003

Don't unsubscribe to them! You'll get more if you do.

"you are currently transmitting at the following address ... This may put your system at risk" - Don't worry about it, it's to scare you.

Pop up windows are commom - depends how much you have. To say it is a problem

Scan for virus's.

click here click here these will scan your computer for nastys and will remove them.

click here has a built in pop-up-stopper

MAJ 19:17 18 Mar 2003

First thing to do, Spam Flitter, is not to unsubscribe from these things, while that will work sometimes, most of the time it just verifies that your's is an active email address and the spam will increase rather than decrease. So Ignore them. As you're already suffering from spam, the best that you can achieve, for the time being, (without changing your email address) is to delete them from your email server before downloading them to your computer. To that end, download Mailwasher, click here and use it, instead of your email client, to check your mail. It will show you all the mail waiting on your server, then you can decide to delete or bounce the offending emails from your server, all from within the Mailwasher interface.

To get rid of popups, download a popup killer utility, there are loads of free ones about.

Also download, update and run "Adaware", "Spybot Search and Destroy" and "Spywareblaster", they will reduce the amount of Spyware on your computer. Spyware can and does produce a lot of spam.

Don't spam the spammers, you'll only get yourself into trouble, weird isn't it?

Spam Flitter 07:49 19 Mar 2003

Thanks for all your advice. I will try your suggestions and let you know how I got on.

Andsome 08:08 19 Mar 2003

No need to download any programs if you have the latest CD from PCA cover. Install Spam Pal, it's the best thing since sliced bread.

Red Devil 09:11 19 Mar 2003

I agree that I found Spam Pal very good BUT it did tag some genuine e-mails as spam (which the program warned might happen) but I can't find a way to let the program know that some of what is says is spam actually isn't.

Shame really

Andsome 11:14 19 Mar 2003

Put the accounts which have been stopped by Spam Pal into the WHITELIST, and they will get through in future. I only had to do this with three accounts, and they all come through every time now. The beauty of the program is that you can just check the Spam Folder periodically, and press Control/A then delete all. If configured correctly it will not automatically delete e-mails, just shift them into the Spam folder.

Red Devil 14:29 19 Mar 2003

Cheers, sorted it out now.

Now if only some-one could tell me how to remove the **spam** tag from non-spam e-mails that have been tagged incorrectly................

Tenner 18:28 19 Mar 2003

MailWasher ? I've found it a great little program, but one thing I would ask others about, have you noticed an increase in spam since 'bouncing' any offensive 'mails ? It made me feel a lot better bouncing them, but they have doubled in the last 2 or 3 months. Had to delete 10 of the 20 emails received today.

Regards

Andsome 14:47 20 Mar 2003

Click onto forward. You can then edit by creating a curser and back tracking. Then re-send them to yourself.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone