unwanted E mails

dtw 12:47 20 Jun 2006

over the past two or three weeks I have been receiving unwanted E regarding an American Stocks and Shares. how can I stop these, they are sent by individuals different names each time and different headings. I'm blocking each one and returning, but I cannot stop them (any Ideas)
DTW.

silverous 12:52 20 Jun 2006

They are becoming quite a problem. We have used our mail filtering software to filter them out by looking for a specific HTML pattern present in all of them.... until they figure this out and change it!

They are difficult because they contain just an image and you don't really necessarily want to block all emails with an image in.

Also worth making sure you have got some sort of spam filter in place, ideally one that uses a blacklist as you migth find it can stop them based on the fact that once a machine has been 'known' as a spam sending machine it can often end up on these blacklits before your email arrives so the filter uses that knowledge.

wee eddie 13:05 20 Jun 2006

dtw: Sending them back just encourages the Senders and lets them know that the address is, as it were, inhabited.

vinnyT 14:16 20 Jun 2006

I Use poptray click here, this prog checks my mail server, dloads the headers, if I don't want 1 of them I just delete from the server, without dloading to my pc.

Hope this helps.

palinka 18:52 20 Jun 2006

I use mailwasher; you can teach it what emails you want and what you don't want. The easiest way to get round the constantly changing sender and address is to filter your mail by content - eg if the body of the mail contains certain words, such as (in your case) "stocks".
But don't return them - that just produces more because the spammers then know that your email address exists; until then they are often sending at random and if one of their random addresses is anything like your the mail will be delivered to your address.

AngeTheHippy 20:56 20 Jun 2006

to compact folders in your mail client. Apparently, even stuff that you delete just keeps mounting up and uses space, but compacting helps it. Sorry, not being very succinct - it's 1/2 time in the England-Sweden match!!

AngeTheHippy
xx

p;3 21:11 20 Jun 2006

use the mailwasher option as described above ; do not send anything back or bounce but delete from server ; mine seem to go in phases; I am waiting my next batch of "rubbish"(a long time ago I rather stupidly clicked on one of those tabs that says "unsubscribe", I have learnt from that stupidity)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?