unwanted dual boot

matstu 17:54 02 Sep 2008

Dell pc running vista basic had probs in the O/S (some virus). The pc was messed up with all sorts of other probs. This is not my PC My wife and I are careful. Anyway, the pc came with a disc to help factory reset. This was used and the pc appears o be dual boot with 2 vistas one named windows vista, the other microsoft windows vista. The new one seems just fine but the hard drive has 2 partitions one O/S (C) which has 100 gig space, the other recovery has 10 gig (D)and is nearly full. When installing a new programme the installation path goes to recovery partition. As its nearly full the path has to be changed every time to C drive . This never used to be the case.

In both C & D drives there are folders for prog files, users, windows etc. Should this be the case? The pc I'm using for this posting (advent) has C drive with all those folders and more and an s drive which is system with nothing in it. one more thing the Dell cannot play DVD's now due to missing DVD decoder.

Does the Dell need serious help?

regards
Stephen

Ditch999 18:32 02 Sep 2008

You would be better to restore the PC from the Recovery Partition as per click here=

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:35 02 Sep 2008

It appears that the reinstall of vista has happened on the D (recovery drive) and not formatted the c drive.

Pre-Installed Options
NOTE

If no repair options are available your PC manufacturer may have replaced the tools or customised them. Check your Computer Manual before proceeding.

1/ Start your PC

2/ If your PC has one operating system Press and Hold the F8 key as your PC starts. If the Windows Logo appear you will need to start again

3/ If you have a dual boot system a Boot option menu will appear. Highlight the Vista operating system and Press the F8 key

4/ In both cases, if all has gone well, an Advanced options screen will now appear

5/ Highlight the repair Your Computer option and Press Enter

6/ Select a keyboard layout, and then Click the Next button

7/ Next select your user Name and Enter your Password, then Click OK

8/ The recovery options should now appear

matstu 18:37 02 Sep 2008

Tried all of that before. There is no Dell Factory Image Restore in the advanced options when pressing F8.

matstu 18:50 02 Sep 2008

Haven't tried the option as described by Fruit Bat /\0/\ will go to in laws and give it a try. any other input????

axelbrora 21:19 02 Sep 2008

Yes I have similar problems.

While trying to repair a boot up problem on XP SP2 I lost the hal.dll file and windows would not start in any mode.

I tried the recovery disk from Mesh and it started to reinstall windows, no repair option. I got stuck at the product code which I could not find. I then installed my original XP SPI to get my computer running. As I now had a ral mess and needet i reinstall all of ny programmes I took the opportunity to upgarde to Visa SP1.

Now all is excellent except for the fact that I still get offered the dual boot although it defaults to Vista after 30 seconds. I now have an extra 5GB partition with what is obviously a partial installation of Windows SP2.

Not a major problem but I would like to get rid of the dual boot option for a fsater boot up and also recover the 5GB of disk space.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Axel

Ditch999 13:24 03 Sep 2008

If you have the Vista DVD and your key then I would recommend formatting both partitions and merging them in to one large one (or a smallish C: drive for your OS (50gb?) and a larger D: drive for documents (200GB?))
Then perform a fresh install of Vista on to C:
Make sure you have all your drivers for the PC handy and have any important documents backed up first.

Ditch999 13:27 03 Sep 2008

If you have the factory restore CD from Dell I would format the C: and D: drives and do a fresh install of Vista on the C: drive.
Back up any important documents first.

GaT7 15:59 03 Sep 2008

Without reinstalling the OS (in WinXP), I've successfully used 2 methods to get rid of the unwanted dual-boot screen altogether, or at least reduce the time it displays, by:

1. Editing the boot.ini file to remove the 2nd boot option. Could be risky if you delete the wrong entry, so better to do step 2 if not sure...

2. Going into System Properties (My Computer > Properties) > Advanced tab > Startup and Recovery > Settings & reducing the 'Time to display operating systems' to a few seconds.

Not sure what they're in Vista, but there could be similar things to do. G

woodchip 16:05 03 Sep 2008

Why not use Disc manager and delete the unwanted Partition then Expand the Main partition to take up the unused space

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017