Unwanted DLL file appeared; how do I delete it?

dune3 15:28 17 Jan 2007

Hello computer boffins, a DLL file has appeared on my PC from the Net, it appears after I switch on the pc, on the Desktop page in a little window, it reads: RUNDLL
Error loading C:\Docume-1\CYRUSP-1\LOCALS-1\Temp\MetacafeDllDownloader.dll
The specified module could not be found.

OK

Could anyone please help me to find this file and delete it from my pc?

Ho-Lin-Sok 16:04 17 Jan 2007

Try running Spybot S&D and AVG antispy.

PaulB2005 16:14 17 Jan 2007

If you read the message careful it says "Error loading" and" module could not be found". This means the file C:\Docume-1\CYRUSP-1\LOCALS-1\Temp\MetacafeDllDownloader.dll is missing and Windows is trying to load it and can't find it.

First Start, Run.., type MSCONFIG and hit enter, go to the Startup tab and try to find the entry with MetacafeDllDownloader.dll in it. Untick it, click Ok and reboot when prompted.

Gongoozler 16:43 17 Jan 2007

Is it possible that you have started and not completed an installation from Metacafe click here

dune3 11:09 18 Jan 2007

I think that's what has happened! I attempted to download a file from Metacalfe, then my Zonealarm Security Suite informed me that I would be downloading from an unknown publisher & therefore pose a potential risk to my PC, so I immediately cancelled the download before I had even started. I've clicked on your link & connected to Metacalfe, but where do I go from there?

dune3 11:11 18 Jan 2007

I will try running free AVG anti-spyware, is Spybot Search & Destroy free as well?

dune3 11:12 18 Jan 2007

I will follow your instructions & get back to you, thanks.

Ho-Lin-Sok 12:22 18 Jan 2007
  Ho-Lin-Sok 12:27 18 Jan 2007

Seems it may be in the temp files, maybe using a cleaner will shift it. Xp has clean manager or you might like to try Crap cleaner from same site as above

PaulB2005 13:36 18 Jan 2007

Read the original message again.

The FILE is MISSING.

The error is caused by the startup command tryign to start a file that does not exist.

"The specified module COULD NOT BE FOUND."

dune3 needs to find the command and remove it.

dune3 15:49 18 Jan 2007

I found the problem thanks to you, I followed your instructions, found the Startup menu under my own name & located the file which was called Metacalfe Downloader shortcut 4kb, & promptly deleted it. Thanks again, & thanks to all for their feedback. Mission accomplished!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?