Unwanted Dialler

Chas49 19:05 28 Jun 2008

I haven't used Dial up in years but, today, such a dialler appeared on screen. I looked in Internet options/connections and found the 'Never Dial eyc' was unticked - I've ticked it. The dialler keeps popping up but am I expected to restart the computer for that tick to take effect? Someone else is using it at present so I can't check immediately. The OS is XP Home. The Browser Firefox.

ambra4 19:12 28 Jun 2008

In Internet options/connections select “Never Dial A Connection“ Click the Lan Button at the

bottom of display and untick the Auto Detect setting if ticked

all boxes must not be selected

birdface 19:13 28 Jun 2008

You could try Lan settings and tick automatically detect settings.

Chas49 19:33 28 Jun 2008

Thanks for the replies fellas.As I suspected the dialler did disappear after I had ticked the "Never Dial a connection' radio button. No sooner had I done that the young user (who I had gently detached from the computer) reported that MSN Messenger wasn't working either! It refuses any effort to sign in. Methinks someone has been messin' - er, I wonder who? <g> Any idedas on that please.

Chas49 19:35 28 Jun 2008

Thanks for the replies fellas.As I suspected the dialler did disappear after I had ticked the "Never Dial a connection' radio button. No sooner had I done that the young user (who I had gently detached from the computer) reported that MSN Messenger wasn't working either! It refuses any effort to sign in. Methinks someone has been messin' - er, I wonder who? <g> Any idedas on that please.

Chas49 19:36 28 Jun 2008

whoops!

woodchip 19:41 28 Jun 2008

One Idea Is if a Dial-Up Modem Cable is not connected to the BT socket. The Dialer will not work so just delete it, Do a search for it. So it cannot use the ADSL line

birdface 19:45 28 Jun 2008

Did you try MSN.Tools.options.Connection.And press the troubleshooter.

Chas49 19:51 28 Jun 2008

Thanks woodchip. The dial up is resolved now - a new problem has taken its place though (as above)

Messenger has a yellow exclamation mark by Key Ports, looking on another page which shows your connection to the internet graphically also has that exclamation mark - prersumably between messenger and the net.

The connection is via wireless from the BT Hub and, as you can see from this post (written on the computer in question), that the connection is OK and working normally.

Perhaps a reinstall of Messenger?

woodchip 19:55 28 Jun 2008

I think you can remove and reinstall it from Add Remove Programs in Control Panel, under Windows Setup tab

Chas49 20:00 28 Jun 2008

Just about to look for Messenger, - Windows live messenger? Will download it on to a flash drive and, after uniunstalling it from the other machine
(now using my No.1 - having dislodged the young user from it!) I'll install a fresh copy - fingers (and everything else) crossed.

I wonder what he did to upset both MSN and bring up that dialler - a dialler I had never used on that machine!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?