unwanted desk top

dnjl 01:01 25 Oct 2007

What do you do with an unwanted desktop, when my new one is installed.Low end Packard Bell 5yrs. old? How do I delete all my own data for good? Someone told me it's all on a thin plastic disc on top of the driver (whatever that looks like, and wherever that is in the computer) - but if I take that out and destroy it, will it render the computer useless for someone to re-use?

I was thinking of the charity shop I frequently take things to (they accept electrical items).

Jak_1 01:21 25 Oct 2007

I have absolutely no idea what the 'thin plastic disc' is supposed to be, however, a program such as BCWipe or Eraser will wipe all data from your drive and without sophisticated software could it ever be reclaimed. If you have some PCA cover disks then you will probably find these programs on them.

lotvic 01:36 25 Oct 2007

may I suggest you study click here to learn about Hard Disk Drives and the way they store the information you put on them

buckeye 10:30 25 Oct 2007

Take the hard drive out and smash it ...that is the only way to ensure total safety..and of course,dispose of the remains senseibly ..remember the environment..new hard drives are as cheap as chips..to coin a phrase.

silverous 10:34 25 Oct 2007

If you want to keep the PC usable but render the data more or less irrecoverable (experts I'm sure could get it back) download darik's boot and nuke (DBAN) and boot from a floppy with it on. You can then select to overwrite the entire disk several times which should be fine unless you have something particularly sensitive on there.

Charity shop as good a destination as any I'd say.

dnjl 17:30 25 Oct 2007

Thanks for all your advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?