Unusual serial port

truane 11:47 06 Sep 2004

My wife's Tiny PC went in for a PSU repair recently and came back with a new motherboard. Old one had 2 serial ports with D9 male sockets, and her knitting machines interfaced OK. New motherboard has (clearly marked with 10101 symbol) 1 D9 male and 1 D15 (in 3 rows) female. The only ref I can find in my Maplin cat to this type of D15 is for a monitor connector, but they do sell a converter for D15 to D9. My question is - is a D15 3 row connector usual for a serial port and will Maplin's connector (under Monitor Changers, Standard - p.401 in the 2002-3 cat [woops, out of date again!]) allow me to plug in a serial device.

Gongoozler 12:17 06 Sep 2004

Download and run Belarc Advisor click here. This should tell you what motherboard you have. If you have any problem interpreting this, contact me via the envelope alongside my nickname and I'll give you my email address so you can send me a copy of the Belarc report. Once we know the motherboard make and model, we should be able to download the manual and find what the ports are.

Gongoozler 10:02 07 Sep 2004

Hi, and many thanks for your suggestions, which I have followed. I located the motherboard manual on Microstar International's site and it confirmed that the port in question is, in fact, a VGA monitor port in this version of motherboard. Very strange, but at least I now know what to do. Thanks again for your help, truane.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Interview: Camille Walala on her giant 3D installation inspired by childhood funfair visits

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Où regarder le British Open 2017 ?