Unusual PSU activity

wesparmalee 19:13 01 Nov 2006

I've just bought a new Dell pc, and have noticed that when the pc is first plugged in, the fan starts for a few seconds, and then turns off.You can then turn the pc on the usual way, and there's no problem at all.I'm not sure if this is a feature with Dell, but i just thought it was a bit strange.Anyone else had this happen?Thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:35 01 Nov 2006

On some modern boards the Fan comes on at full speed as you boot up.
Then the Fan control software kicks in to run the fan at the required speed to cool the CPUas teCPU has only just started it is cool so the fan virtually stops.

This is quite normal, work the Cpu by giving it alot to do run several programs at nce and you will her the fan start up again.

mike1967 19:41 01 Nov 2006

Yeah its a feature with my Dell PC as well, you may also hear the fan at times when the pc is working hard

wesparmalee 19:54 01 Nov 2006

Thanks for the quick reply, but i may have confused you in my description.The fan actually starts when the pc is first plugged into the mains supply.This is without the main power button being pressed on the pc itself.This only lasts a few seconds, and then you can turn the pc on the normal way.Hope i've made is a bit clearer to you.Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?