Unstable XP

Vimal 16:25 13 Mar 2004

I nearly always get a Fatal Error on Startup of XP. I have loaded several XP updates, should I uninstall these and start again? If so which updates should I install as they are are all very similiar! Yours help please

VoG II 16:26 13 Mar 2004

If you can post the exact error message it will give us a clue.

Vimal 22:07 13 Mar 2004

Something along the lines of
' Windows has recovered froma serious error' then it says to asks if you want to send a report to Microsoft.If I send then it says I need to load updates of several megs in size which I have done but it still happens.
I hope this helps!

VoG II 22:15 13 Mar 2004

Click on the "Details" button - post what it says.

woodchip 22:24 13 Mar 2004

Those kind of errors are normally due to memory being accessed when it should not be. A program that is trying to use memory space that as been allocated to something ells

SOUNDFADER 22:38 13 Mar 2004

sounds like the same thing i came across when i built a pc for a friend, when you re-install xp you need to go to windows updates and install 4 or five updates at a time, what is happening is that the blaster virus is causing a protection fault on your system and the only way to get rid of it is to have all the latest updates from windows update site, you must format your hard drive and install fresh otherwise you will get the same problem when trying to update, the blaster worm will intermitently try and shut down your pc and only give you a certain amount of time before it reboots your pc.

have fun

soundfader

Vimal 23:40 13 Mar 2004

last error error file view was

BCCode :9
BCP1:000FFDF
BCP2:00000002
BCP3:00000001
BCP4:806BB90E
OSVER:5_1_2600
SP 1_0
PRODUCT 768_1

Help me

Vimal 23:42 13 Mar 2004

Soundfader

I have Noton Systemworks 2004 have it has not found any virus and I update regular! So would it have not fount the it! I do not want to reformat if possible!

wallbash 00:50 14 Mar 2004

I agree with Woodchip, its a Memeory problem. Run a Memtest.

hugh-265156 01:37 14 Mar 2004

try a clean boot click here or try and start in safe mode(keep taping F8 or F5 as soon as the computer is switched on and select it from the list)

if you can sucessfully boot into wndows without errors in either of the above then it may be just software causing the problem.

note:systemworks/norton products in general can give some strange errors on some set ups.in general they are very good products but i have had a few problems in the past using nav and npf with my set up.

if safe mode or clean booting sucessfully work i would guess that its maybe symantec software at fault.

try uninstalling systemworks first to see if it helps or try to find a fix on the symantec kb site click here type errors etc into the search box to get something like click here lots of usefull info.

more troubleshooting click here

and memtest86 mentioned above to test for memory faults click here

toptom3 09:46 14 Mar 2004

i had same prob.turned out to be a faulty motherboard.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone