Unstable wireless connection

Diarm 16:48 21 Feb 2006

Hi,
I've connected up a BT Voyager 2091 router and can't get a stable wireless connection to it. It connects for 5-15mins and then fails and only does that when I'm less than 1m away from the router. The ethernet connection is working fine.

My laptop wireless adapter (BT Voyager 1065) is working fine, since it does connect to the Voyager router at times and is always picking up my neighbours' networks. I'm trying to connect 2 laptops wirelessly and they're both having the same problem so that would suggest to me that it's a router problem.

Since I'm on my 2nd Voyager 2091 in a week it seems unlikely that there's a fault with the router so I'm stumped! I've tried everything suggested by BT helpdesk people, including changing the router channel and reserving an IP address for my laptop's physical adress (spoofing? Not too sure of the technical term).
If there's anything anyone can suggest I'll give it a try.

I'm very close to dumping BT and trying a different provider but don't want to get another router and have the same problem. Is there something about my set up/home that could cause this problem? If there's something strange about my house that is interferring with the router's signal why would I be able to pick up my neighbours' networks?

Any suggestions about a cause would be appreciated - this is driving me mad!

keewaa 19:17 21 Feb 2006

Hopefully this is the very common SSID WZC problem when another Network is within range.

Simply enable SSID broadcast in the router interface and see if this fixes the problem. I assume you have WEP/WPA security, if not then do activate it.

Diarm 23:08 21 Feb 2006

Thanks for your help keewaa, but the SSID is enabled (by that I assume you didn't mean set it to have a hidden SSID, if so then please let me know) and the WEP security is on.

As usual, while I'm writing this, the laptop connected automatically to the router for a few minutes and then the connection failed. When I search for networks in range the BT Voyager is there one minute, gone the next.

Again that is only when I'm within a metre of the router and the wireless network is never available when I'm upstairs (through one ceiling) or just in the room next door.

keewaa 09:01 22 Feb 2006

Try changing the wireless channel used (try 1, 6 and 11). Failing that try allocating fixed IPs as explained here click here

Diarm 09:46 22 Feb 2006

I'm afraid I've tried both those before and no luck!
Currently my laptop is connecting for longer, but again only when I'm very close to the router and it fails/is unable to connect to the network if I'm any distance away. Makes me wish it either work fine or not at all - at least then I'd understand what's going on!

Wish I could say it was resolved but still puzzled.

keewaa 10:01 22 Feb 2006

Upgrade the firmware for the router from the manufacturers web site and also upgrade the firmware/drivers for any PCMCIA or PCI or USB wireless devices used by the PCs/laptops. Also do a manual windows update (start- all programs -windows update) click the custom button and update any hardware updates found for the PC/laptop.

Diarm 10:50 22 Feb 2006

Checked for firmware updates for the router and adapter and both are up to date. Also no hardware upgrades found for my laptop.

keewaa 11:23 22 Feb 2006

Try turning off Windows Zero Configuration and using adapter software only. Right click on my computer - manage and its under services, stop it and disable it, but remember to undo this if it doesn't work and you want WZC on again.

Diarm 00:01 23 Feb 2006

Tried that and the problem persists.
I can't find a fault with either my adapter or laptop settings or the router settings.

keewaa 09:20 23 Feb 2006

Have you confirmed it definitely is a wireless problem. To do this, right click on the wireless connection in Network connections and disable it, plug in an ethernet cable from the laptop to the router and see if the problem persists, in which case it is not a wireless issue. Remember to re-enable the wireless after you unplug the ethernet wire.

Diarm 10:16 23 Feb 2006

No problem with the ethernet connection.

The really confusing part for me is that I am connecting wirelessly at times and while it's there it's fine - signal strength is excellent, speed good and using the connection is no problem. It's just that it doesn't last and I can't connect unless sitting next to the router.

Any more ideas? Thanks for all your time/help!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone