Unstable OEM XP Home

Quickbeam 07:43 03 Jan 2005

My OEM version of XP Home has been getting increasingly unstable with new updates & service packs. I've ruled out blaming SP2 as the instability occures in SP1.
My OEM version is a very early release, & I've updated all the original hardware since... so much so that there is nothing left of the original builders spec.
After months of tollerating & trying to marrow the cause down, I'm thinking can it be the original OEM XP OS?
Does anyone think a new retail version of XP would take me forward?
Obviously at nearly £200 there needs to be a strong arguement to take this route!

€dstowe 08:15 03 Jan 2005

I have machines with OEM XP installed that have been here since XP was first available. They have been kept up to date with service packs and Windows updates and they are still going OK. I also have machines that have OEM XP with included SP2 on the disc. I don't notice any difference in performance between them (although there is a difference in performance of the machines they are installed in).

As you have been doing a lot of changes to your machine, perhaps it's time for a clean re-install of the operating system and start afresh. I would doubt that a new version is required. Just ensure that you install SP2 and take all precautions about infections before connecting to the Internet.

Modo 08:24 03 Jan 2005

Time for a reinstall as just said.

Make sure you save your documents and your e-mail.

Also get all software installation disks together before you start, plus passwords. I'd also advise downloading and saving the latest drivers or software versions for everything you have and want to keep.

& be warned it slow and tedious. I've done 3 machines over the holidays but the results in performance are well worth it.

Quickbeam 09:41 03 Jan 2005

Well that seems to repreive XP... but over the last year I've clean installed XP over a dozen times in the quest to track this down. I've tried reinstalling in various program orders & only with drivers I need but as soon as I start updating the system the instability creaps in. The last clean install was 2 days ago with minimal drivers, only firewall & virus programs... worked like lightening... until I went straight to sp2... then it crashes at random. I don't really think it's specifically sp2 as this happens with sp1 + updates.

Quickbeam 09:52 03 Jan 2005

I've just remembered one piece of original hardware that still exists... an nvidia TNT64 graphics card 32 meg. Might this be underrated for modern systems? Now running an AMD 63bit 3000+ CPU, or possibly begining to fail... now 4 years old?

Quickbeam 11:46 03 Jan 2005

This instability also occures on the ME partition to a lesser extent... also when all updates have been installed.

JIM 11:55 03 Jan 2005

You have remembered/highlighted a very important piece of original hardware that still exists in your system .Your Nvidia TNT64 graphics card 32 meg with all upgrades been done and running XP/sp2 would have a job to keep up.(depending on the use of system)

My own original Nividia Geforce4 ti4000-128 ddr is stuggling,but i can live with it till i find a replacement.

Quickbeam 14:05 03 Jan 2005

Thanks Jim, I've just got back from PC World & will fit a new Abit 256mb. Your reply confirmed what I'd began to suspect... the original card was the bee's knees... once! I will post back when I can confirm an improovment.

Quickbeam 19:32 04 Jan 2005

Ho.. Hum... should have done this a while ago. Fitted new graphics card & now got the system I expected when I bought the AMD 64 bit CPU... just goes to show I might as well have bought a complete computer in the first place... Life is such fun! I now have all the original bits inc' the case to build back up as my original as a spare with ME on...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?