'unspecified' folders in my network places. Help!?

EdMol 19:26 04 Apr 2007

I have recently connected a wireless internet connection around my home. I have also connected my home PC to a new VISTA laptop successfully and I can share folders without problem.

However I am having problems connecting another XP laptop computer to this network. When i double-click network places all i get is unidentified folders under the title 'unspecified' that i cant open. However there must be some sort of communication happening because the shared folders from my main computer are showing up, but, as i say, are unclickable.

I have pinged all three computers from each computer and they have all come back properly.

Can you help?

insyder 15:08 06 Apr 2007

Do you have the correct Permissions set up in Vista to the Shares? Vista is #Very# picky with security especially with "older" OS's as it sees them........

EdMol 17:24 06 Apr 2007

thanks for your response, insyder.

The Vista PC is not the problem at the moment, and i see what you mean about sharing n Vista...it seems to be a lot more complicated than XP. For the moment all i am sharing on Vista is the 'public' file, which is simple enough.

The problem now is that on an XP media centre edition laptop PC is that when i go onto Network Places I can only see one folder from one computer (considering there's 2 others sharing info on my network with multiple files shared) but if i go onto "my workgroup" i CAN get access to everything that is shared, it is VERY slow. I dont know why only one folder is showing up.... strange! Any ideas?

mocha 19:20 06 Apr 2007

Have you a Firewall on the none communicating laptop that has not been configured to the Network. VERY slow access could be down to what room you are in at the time. Router's signals are not very strong and more than distance from laptop too Router being the problem with speed it is much more likely to be walls and doors that slow down your signal, also your security such as WPA-PSK will slow down your data through put. Although I would never recommend turning that off.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?