Unsolicited E-mails - hacked?

EFC1878 12:49 05 Jul 2009

I recently recieved an e-mail that purported to be from a firend however when I spoke to them about it they assured me that they had not sent it. It was directing me to an electronics selling site. My friend thinks that he may have been hacked - if this is the case does this mean that I will have been also.

I have run my virus checker - Avast - on my machine and it has given me a clean bill of health twice.

Any advice?

birdface 13:11 05 Jul 2009

Anti-Virus programs will not catch everything.To be in the safe side I would try Malwarebytes free.Update and run it.

birdface 13:20 05 Jul 2009

Visited my nephew when up in Scotland.Showed me his nearly new laptop.He had W/defender and AVG for his security.
Boasted about how good it was and how he was virus free and had no problems.I told him he did not have enough security and W/defender was not much good and after a lot of persuading got him to download Malwarebytes to try it.37 problems it found mostly Trojans and password stealer's.
So if you have not used it before it is worth trying and I would keep it on your computer for occasional scans.
It may be anyone in your address book that has the problem so maybe try and track down the culprit and get them to run their security programs.

EFC1878 14:09 05 Jul 2009

Buteman

Thanks for the advice. Iwas will download the software you suggest - presumably simply putting 'malwarebytes' into google will find it for me.

Cheers -I will let you know how I get on

EFC1878 21:19 05 Jul 2009

Thanks - as always - for your help.

I donwloaded the software and ran the scan - I was clean.

Thanks again [I will run this periodically as an extra security measure]

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?