unsecured wireless connection

Babou 22:40 11 Apr 2007

This is my sister's query really. She is an absolute beginner & has just bought a laptop with all the bells and whistles. It was a few days before we both had time for me to come and set up her anti-virus software. She doesn't have broadband or anything set up so I thought I'd get her started with a simple dial-up connection initially.

But when I got there, lo and behold her laptop had automatically logged on to a very strong unsecured wireless signal. I quickly installed her Norton security suite and did a scan, no problems detected.

What I'm wondering is, is it OK for her to use this signal? Is there a moral/legal aspect to "borrowing" a connection? I would assume that if anyone is generous/stupid enough to leave their connection unsecured it's fair game, but I'm not really sure.

Also, is her computer secure? I was alarmed that it had logged itself on without her being aware, and wondered if it's some kind of honey-trap.

Maybe I'm just jealous ... all the wireless connections up my street are locked (including mine!).

woodchip 22:45 11 Apr 2007

She should not use someone else’s ISP even if it's unsecured. It's stealing. And you can finish up in courtroom

skidzy 22:46 11 Apr 2007

Jumping on someone else's wireless connection without permission is known as Piggybacking and is illegal.She could always disable the wireless card for now,normally FN+F2

Babou 22:59 11 Apr 2007

Ooo er! I shall pass on the bad news. Many thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?